Sign in to follow this  
Eken

A all in one program for C/C++

Recommended Posts

Eken    122
Is there any C/C++ programs in linux that has the same capacity as Visual C++. I mean, so I can program, compile and run the program in the same program, so I not have to do/change makefiles and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Take a look at the sticky thread "Summary of GNU/Linux IDEs" on the top of this forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Don't listen to the flamewar starter. You should try them all and see what works best for you, they're all free. KDevelop gets slagged here a lot for no good reason. It isn't as horrible as some people make it out to be. If you actually know how and when to use it, it's actually quite good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
technomancer    199
Personnaly, i like Kdevelop it has its problems i admit but working with makefiles and gcc on the command line is arcaic in my opinion. Applications should help us perform the task at hand and having a program produce the makefile and associated lib dependancies for compilation is great. I want to worry about the programming side of things note what strange switch combination to use with gcc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Winograd    380
Before you are going to start to use any IDE, I recommend you get familiar with the gcc, and autotools. Most of the IDEs rely on those and if you get into trouble you're much better of with some background knowledge of how things is supposed to work. That way all those lines scrolling won't seem so magical and in the best case you're able to fix what the IDE did wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George2    187
Quote:
Original post by ukdeveloper
Personally, I'd say avoid KDevelop if you can. It's the pits imho, I prefer to compile with gcc on the command line. It saves so much hassle.


That should be fun :

KDevelop user : presses F8

You :
gcc -c foo.cpp
gcc -c bar.cpp
...
gcc *.o -o foobar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by George2
Quote:
Original post by ukdeveloper
Personally, I'd say avoid KDevelop if you can. It's the pits imho, I prefer to compile with gcc on the command line. It saves so much hassle.


That should be fun :

KDevelop user : presses F8

You :
gcc -c foo.cpp
gcc -c bar.cpp
...
gcc *.o -o foobar


Although I don't think that KDevelop is as bad as most people make it, CLI users like myself don't build their programs by typing endless commands. You press F8, we type "make" or just hit the up arrow (or the corresponding shortcut in our editor).

Out of curiosity, am I the only one to think that ".cpp" screams "C preprocessor" and not "C++".


Hope this helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by George2
Quote:
Original post by ukdeveloper
Personally, I'd say avoid KDevelop if you can. It's the pits imho, I prefer to compile with gcc on the command line. It saves so much hassle.


That should be fun :

KDevelop user : presses F8

You :
gcc -c foo.cpp
gcc -c bar.cpp
...
gcc *.o -o foobar


Although I don't think that KDevelop is as bad as most people make it, CLI users like myself don't build their programs by typing endless commands. You press F8, we type "make" or just hit the up arrow (or the corresponding shortcut in our editor).

Out of curiosity, am I the only one to think that ".cpp" screams "C preprocessor" and not "C++".


Hope this helps


Which is why normal people use ".cc" instead of ".cpp" :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fyhuang    253
I'm a previously Visual Studio user so I use .cpp. I just think that .cc is too... ah, never mind. Personal taste I suppose :).

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Urxae    182
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Out of curiosity, am I the only one to think that ".cpp" screams "C preprocessor" and not "C++".


Which is why normal people use ".cc" instead of ".cpp" :)

Out of curiosity, am I the only one to think that ".cc" screams "C Compiler" and not "C++"? [grin]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Urxae
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Out of curiosity, am I the only one to think that ".cpp" screams "C preprocessor" and not "C++".


Which is why normal people use ".cc" instead of ".cpp" :)

Out of curiosity, am I the only one to think that ".cc" screams "C Compiler" and not "C++"? [grin]


We can't name our files ".c++c" now, can we? [grin]

Most of the time I give C++ source files the ".C" extension, or even ".c++". I only ever use ".cc" or ".cxx" (or ".cpp" if I have no choice) when I have to port to Windows.


Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will F    1069
Quote:
Original post by Eken
Is there any C/C++ programs in linux that has the same capacity as Visual C++. I mean, so I can program, compile and run the program in the same program, so I not have to do/change makefiles and so on.


I often use gedit with the Shell Command plugin. But I doubt it's what you're looking for.

As for not having to "do" makefiles, you're probably out of luck. Consider taking the plunge and learning how to use them, it's actually not all that hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James Trotter    432
Quote:
Original post by Eken
Is there any C/C++ programs in linux that has the same capacity as Visual C++. I mean, so I can program, compile and run the program in the same program.


Emacs. [grin]

Seriously though, I actually use emacs, and even though you don't have all the fancy class view widgets and stuff that you have in VS, (I used Visual Studio .NET 2003 before), it works brilliantly. It's just a simple editor! And if you're afraid of makefiles, (I can understand you, they're quite ugly), there are plenty of alternative build systems which seek to replace makefiles with simpler systems. Scons is a good example.

As for KDevelop, I haven't actually tried it myself. But I have been very curious about it. I meant to try it, but I just love working in emacs, so I decided not to. It looks very impressive, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will F    1069
Quote:
Original post by James Trotter
Emacs .... It's just a simple editor!


I would hardly use the word simple and Emacs in the same sentence. XEmacs is a bit better, but there still so many unintuitive (to me at least) key bindings. It is highly extensible though, how many text editors let you play adventure or solitaire (or a number of other games), can be used as an email and usenet reader, etc.

On a side note I half expected to hear that the HURD kernel would be powered by emacs[wink]

Anyways, my actual point is that emacs can work wonders, but it's not necessarily the best tool for someone new to the unix/linux world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheRealMAN11    142
Quote:
Original post by George2
Quote:
Original post by ukdeveloper
Personally, I'd say avoid KDevelop if you can. It's the pits imho, I prefer to compile with gcc on the command line. It saves so much hassle.


That should be fun :

KDevelop user : presses F8

You :
gcc -c foo.cpp
gcc -c bar.cpp
...
gcc *.o -o foobar


First take this flame retardent, or shall I say flame RETARD suit, you will need it.

Posted by a true.... RETARD! Man... I use vim to develop my software, and I don't get any of that kdevelop cruft (which i used to love and adore until I saw the light). No one types out each complier command. Have you ever heard of Make? I personally use Scons which is even better. So when I want to compile I can type "scons" or if I am in vim I can type ":make" after setting it to use scons. Then it will jump the the lines with errors and such.

When I want to run my program just do it... man.

Get off your one world view mr know it all. We are not a bunch of retards using the command line wasting effort being error prone and typing each command by it self. User your damn brain!

BTW, for all you non believers, vim supports most features of modern IDE's from code completion like you would not believe, to class browsing/function indexting, to source code higlighting, to code indetation, to tying your shoe, to screwing your mom. Vim is like the dark side of the source. Never underestimate the dark side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheRealMAN11    142
Quote:
Original post by James Trotter
Quote:
Original post by Eken
Is there any C/C++ programs in linux that has the same capacity as Visual C++. I mean, so I can program, compile and run the program in the same program.


Emacs. [grin]

Seriously though, I actually use emacs, and even though you don't have all the fancy class view widgets and stuff that you have in VS, (I used Visual Studio .NET 2003 before), it works brilliantly. It's just a simple editor! And if you're afraid of makefiles, (I can understand you, they're quite ugly), there are plenty of alternative build systems which seek to replace makefiles with simpler systems. Scons is a good example.

As for KDevelop, I haven't actually tried it myself. But I have been very curious about it. I meant to try it, but I just love working in emacs, so I decided not to. It looks very impressive, though.


Dude, it may look nice, but trust me... stick to your emacs. Leave kdevelop for the script kiddies... Now for your fancy class browser, you may want to look into ctags. It enables you to use emacs for class browsing in a more emacs way. Then you can tell all those IDE using lusers to suck your huge emacs balls as you browse over their mother's classes with your m@s+3r 1337 text editor.

And don't call emacs a simple editor... it is just a text editor at heart, but it is by no means simple...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by TheRealMAN11
Dude, it may look nice, but trust me... stick to your emacs. Leave kdevelop for the script kiddies... Now for your fancy class browser, you may want to look into ctags. It enables you to use emacs for class browsing in a more emacs way. Then you can tell all those IDE using lusers to suck your huge emacs balls as you browse over their mother's classes with your m@s+3r 1337 text editor.

And don't call emacs a simple editor... it is just a text editor at heart, but it is by no means simple...


Not to sound rude or anything, but have you recently switched to *NIX? You sound like these people who switched 2 hours ago and need to tell the world how l33t they are and how lame the rest of the world is. I agree that Emacs and Vi(m) are vastly superior tools once you master them, but there are nicer ways to put it than calling IDE users "lusers" and "script kiddies".

I wouldn't call ctags a class browser by any account. It merely indexes ("tags") "things" in your code (not just classes) into a file. If your editor provides support for ctags (emacs and vi(m) do), you can then search the index and find an instance of the search pattern.

I'd recommend that people who use GNU Emacs and need "IDE features" look at http://sourceforge.net/projects/oo-browser/ and particularly at http://cedet.sourceforge.net/. It isn't Visual Studio, but if what you want is VS, use VS.


Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheRealMAN11    142
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by TheRealMAN11
Dude, it may look nice, but trust me... stick to your emacs. Leave kdevelop for the script kiddies... Now for your fancy class browser, you may want to look into ctags. It enables you to use emacs for class browsing in a more emacs way. Then you can tell all those IDE using lusers to suck your huge emacs balls as you browse over their mother's classes with your m@s+3r 1337 text editor.

And don't call emacs a simple editor... it is just a text editor at heart, but it is by no means simple...


Not to sound rude or anything, but have you recently switched to *NIX? You sound like these people who switched 2 hours ago and need to tell the world how l33t they are and how lame the rest of the world is. I agree that Emacs and Vi(m) are vastly superior tools once you master them, but there are nicer ways to put it than calling IDE users "lusers" and "script kiddies".


Nah... I have been using linux since like 2001 or something (around the time rh7.2 came out, although I did not use it). I run it exclusively, except for when I want to play a windows game (rare). As for the rest of my post, I am just screwing around... it was late when I posted that... And it's fun to troll. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this