A all in one program for C/C++

Started by
19 comments, last by Kwizatz 18 years, 10 months ago
Is there any C/C++ programs in linux that has the same capacity as Visual C++. I mean, so I can program, compile and run the program in the same program, so I not have to do/change makefiles and so on.
Advertisement
Take a look at the sticky thread "Summary of GNU/Linux IDEs" on the top of this forum.
Personally, I'd say avoid KDevelop if you can. It's the pits imho, I prefer to compile with gcc on the command line. It saves so much hassle.
Don't listen to the flamewar starter. You should try them all and see what works best for you, they're all free. KDevelop gets slagged here a lot for no good reason. It isn't as horrible as some people make it out to be. If you actually know how and when to use it, it's actually quite good.
Personnaly, i like Kdevelop it has its problems i admit but working with makefiles and gcc on the command line is arcaic in my opinion. Applications should help us perform the task at hand and having a program produce the makefile and associated lib dependancies for compilation is great. I want to worry about the programming side of things note what strange switch combination to use with gcc.
Before you are going to start to use any IDE, I recommend you get familiar with the gcc, and autotools. Most of the IDEs rely on those and if you get into trouble you're much better of with some background knowledge of how things is supposed to work. That way all those lines scrolling won't seem so magical and in the best case you're able to fix what the IDE did wrong.
Quote:Original post by ukdeveloper
Personally, I'd say avoid KDevelop if you can. It's the pits imho, I prefer to compile with gcc on the command line. It saves so much hassle.

That should be fun :

KDevelop user : presses F8

You :
gcc -c foo.cpp
gcc -c bar.cpp
gcc *.o -o foobar

"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
Quote:Original post by George2

That should be fun :

You :
gcc -c foo.cpp
gcc -c bar.cpp
gcc *.o -o foobar

Although I don't think that KDevelop is as bad as most people make it, CLI users like myself don't build their programs by typing endless commands. You press F8, we type "make" or just hit the up arrow (or the corresponding shortcut in our editor).

Out of curiosity, am I the only one to think that ".cpp" screams "C preprocessor" and not "C++".

Hope this helps
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by George2

That should be fun :

You :
gcc -c foo.cpp
gcc -c bar.cpp
gcc *.o -o foobar

Although I don't think that KDevelop is as bad as most people make it, CLI users like myself don't build their programs by typing endless commands. You press F8, we type "make" or just hit the up arrow (or the corresponding shortcut in our editor).

Out of curiosity, am I the only one to think that ".cpp" screams "C preprocessor" and not "C++".

Hope this helps

Which is why normal people use ".cc" instead of ".cpp" :)
I'm a previously Visual Studio user so I use .cpp. I just think that .cc is too... ah, never mind. Personal taste I suppose :).

Cheers!
- fyhuang [ site ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement