compile boost library

Started by
1 comment, last by pim 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi! I'm having problems compiling the boost library, so I was wondering if anyone has a msvs library project of boost that they can upload? Edit: Or perhaps someone can help me with the steps needed to compile it ;) I find it a bit strange that there's only a project for their custom build tool at the page, and no make-projects or visual studio projects etc. Thanks! [Edited by - pim on June 5, 2005 4:05:47 AM]
Advertisement
Compiling boost really only involves reading the "getting started" guide correctly. If you have Microsoft Visual Studio installed, it's rather easy.

You use the command prompt that sets the environment variables, it should be somewhere in start menu -> vstudio -> tools.

You must have downloaded a binary of boost.jam (bjam.exe) and copied it to like C:\WINDOWS. (The link is in the getting started document)

You go to where you have extracted boost, let's say C:\boost_1_32_0.

And, assuming you have MSVC 2003.Net. You write this:

bjam "-sTOOLS=vc-7_1" install

Then be patient :) The libs will be compiled in C:\Boost\lib and the include files will be copied as well.

Anyway, I have compiled it a couple of times during the last days, using GCC, MSVC Toolkit and MS VStudio, so it's not that a big deal. I'm quite a newbit at this command line stuff!

PS. One reason why you'll have trouble finding out a compiled version of boost is that the libs only take around 500 megabytes once compiled.
I've actually followed the instructions step by step, but it's complaining about not finding the right path (without specifying which)..

...failed vc-C++ bin\boost\libs\regex\build\boost_regex.dll\vc-7_1\release\threa
ding-multi\posix_api.obj...
vc-C++ bin\boost\libs\regex\build\boost_regex.dll\vc-7_1\release\threading-multi
\regex.obj
The system cannot find the path specified.
The system cannot find the path specified.

I get alot of these..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement