Sign in to follow this  
roger_hq

Release of DirectSound7 on XP Pro causes error report dialog

Hi, I'm trying to be a good citizen in my DirectX7 app and release all of my DX interfaces when I exit my program, but for some strange reason when I run my app on Win XP Pro, when I exit the program normally by clicking an "exit" button, my program goes through the normal exit routine, but then it crashes and a Error Report dialog shows up, saying that an error has occurred and do I want to send Microsoft a message about it. I've narrowed it down to my Cleanup() routine, in which I am releasing my DirectSound interface. If I comment this out, the error message does not show up. But, if I don't release it properly (as in commenting out that line), for some reason the app still doesn't exit properly (the original resolution of the client's desktop is not restored). I release all of my interfaces in the reverse order that I created them, and I am releasing all of my interfaces and surfaces (at least I think!). Has anyone run into similar problems on Windows XP Pro? What else should I be looking for when exiting my app and releasing all my surfaces, sounds, keyboard, interfaces, etc.? Thanks in advance, rog

If you can create a reasonably small repro case, email it to the DX team at directx@microsoft.com, they're usually pretty good with accepting these sorts of things. Even in the cases where you/we are in the wrong and it's not actually a bug [smile]

Alternatively, get up the DX control panel and crank up the DirectSound debug output level. See if it's giving you some hints as to why it hates you [wink]

hth
Jack