Sign in to follow this  
dave

Does DIP give anyone else problems?

dave    2187
I seem to get problems with it whenever i try to write some new code with it. This time though the results are being completely inconsistent. I have memcpy'd out the contents of the vertex and index buffers just after the call and they contain what i expected, but DIP doesn't render it correctly. Is there any clash between DIP and Radeons? ace

S1CA    1418
Never encountered any problems myself that weren't down to bugs in my code/artwork - and that's across all cards, in a number of commercially released games, and all Direct3D versions since DIP was introduced in DirectX 5! Could you be more specific about what you're seeing/not seeing? (a screenshot perhaps?)

suggestions?:

1) as usual, use the debug D3D runtime with the output level up high and "maximum validation" enabled. Check the output thoroughly - make sure there are no errors, and all warnings are about things you expected.

2) for debugging, don't use a PURE device - it bypasses some of the stuff provided by the D3D runtime - including the checking/validation.

3) for debugging, change your device and all VBs/IBs to use SOFTWARE VERTEX PROCESSING - with the debug D3D runtime enabled and SWVP, D3D will check that all of your indices match up with actual vertices and are valid - this doesn't happen with HWVP with retail graphics card drivers.

4) If you're using the fixed function pipeline, for debugging purposes, try inserting a call to ValidateDevice() just before each DIP call - this will ask the driver to check whether the specific combination of states set will work together on the hardware. VD() is an expensive call, make sure to remove it when the problem is gone!

5) check the device caps to see you're not asking for anything the card doesn't officially support - like 32-bit indices for example - some hardware might partially support some features, but not completely so they don't expose the cap.