Ogre/SDL intigration

Started by
3 comments, last by raptorstrike 18 years, 10 months ago
im just starting out on OGRE and I know that its input system isnt the greatest (because its just a graphics engine) so I am trying to inigrate SDL input into it just one problem... i have no idea how to intergreat the sdl event system in a strictly OOP enviroment so if anyone has done this before i would be very thankful for you input =)
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by raptorstrike
im just starting out on OGRE and I know that its input system isnt the greatest (because its just a graphics engine) so I am trying to inigrate SDL input into it just one problem...

I don't know where you get the idea that Ogre's input system is broken, but Okre already has an interface to SDL. In the source tree, look in PlatformManagers/SDL.

Quote:
i have no idea how to intergreat the sdl event system in a strictly OOP enviroment

Now I'm just nitpicking, but SDL's event system is object oriented.
Take a look here on the Wiki for it has been done already [wink] The related Ogre forum entry is here as well. Good luck!
my turn to nitpick

Quote:Shortcomings
The Ogre buffered input system is not entirely consistent, which I will discuss later. There are also parts of the system that are broken entirely, and cannot be used (which I will also discuss). Ogre also does not support joysticks or gamepads, which can be a serious problem in certain types of games.

Why is Ogre's input system partially broken and not internally consistent? Well to put it quite simply, Ogre is designed to only be a graphics engine. Sinbad has said time and again that the input system would not even exist if it weren't needed to create cross-platform demos for the engine.

In short, the Ogre input system is "good enough" for most applications, and most of the shortcomings can be overcome. You may want to look into other input systems, which we will cover at the end of the tutorial."

this is a streight quote from a wiki tutorial on ogre buffered input =)

thanks for the tutorial i got it to work

[Edited by - raptorstrike on June 5, 2005 1:33:55 PM]
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
ok scratch that i THOUGHT i had it, I have read various posts and that tutorial you showed me but they all seem to be missing one thing, context, i found all the code i need but ive got no idea where to put it. I see lines of code but never the beginning or end of a function to put it in. Sorry if im comming across like "do it for me" but thats not what im asking, im just confused and would like some explanation

[totally]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement