Texture manage strategy

Started by
2 comments, last by dopo 18 years, 10 months ago
I am looking for some advise in Texture manage in a 3D engine.since i am a beginner in design engine,I dont know much about it. my current strategy is every object has a state class to manage the textures,every frame ,only the needed object should check their textures whether been generated(through glGen and glBind). I think this will save the texture memory and time.but i dont know if there in develop a game, the texture of a object will change all the time. and if the textures will shared by many objects.there mush be too many things that i haven't consider. [Edited by - badkeeper3410 on June 5, 2005 8:50:49 AM]
Advertisement
First,i think u should make your spelling and grammar correct or there would be no one who can understand your meaning.;>(im from Xi'an and we are compatriots.)
Second,usually i use a TextureBase to store all textures in a 2D array and i use a POINT to get the name of a texture.
Good Luck.
Thanks for the advise.:) but I am not looking for the method on how to store the textures.I want some more intelligence strategy to manage the textures.some thing like when to generate them and when to delete them.
So u're seeking for some ideas on texture plug-in and freeing.i should say im not an experienced game designer but just a graphic coder.;)therefore my suggestion is plug-in a series of textures when a complete new scene is to be rendered and free it when u are sure that the series is no longer used in the future scenes or in a long time just for saving memory space.it need to be designed by the structure designer.
i hope it is helpful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement