Graphics app that exports to DX9

Started by
7 comments, last by furin121 18 years, 10 months ago
Does anyone know of a good 3d application that exports to directx 9.x format? I've tried Blender and it doesn't work. Also looked at milkshake and it does not mention support for dx9. I don't really have the $ for 3ds max or maya so something cheap would be great. Any advice is appreciated.
Advertisement
Well are you saying for .x files what exactly are you trying to do? Theres various file formats that can be used you just need to code a loader for them. Im assuming you mean the .x file format one of the things used for .x is 3ds max with the panda exporter.
??? ...Milkshape does, check the File->Export menu. Almost every 3D app i have messed with does, including Deep Explorer and Maya (though it's a downloadable plugin).
As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your f***ing head.
DirectX format hasn't changed much in a long time. There is no DX9 format.
Anything that worked before will work with DirectX 9.0.
I am having good luck with UltimateUnwrap3D, available at Unwrap3d.com.

It can import & export a variety of formats, and I have been impressed with its quality so far.

I also use AccuTrans3D, but it can only export .x, not import it at this time.

Unwrap3d is $50, and AccuTrans3d is $20.
I use milkshape and just try exporting it to one of the directx format one of them should work for ya.
Yes, I'm referring to the .x format. But since you guys seem to be having good luck maybe it's just me. I've tried making several models in blender and exported tham and none of them work. I've also read another message somewhere that stated that blender didn't format it correctly and that you had to go in and remove certain empty strings (white space).

In regards to what I'm trying to do, well, I'm just trying to get a model that I created into a directx app. no movement, no textures, nothing crazy. Just want to see if I could get it to show up and it never does. Perhaps I'll give milkshake a try.
Blender is an awful, awful program. Sorry.

With milkshape, there is an export plugin called DirectX(JT). It exports DX8-compatible skinned .x models. The .x format did not change with DX9, so it works fine. One thing, though - if you're using D3DXLoadMeshHierarchyFromX to load your models, don't check "S&B Templates" at the bottom. Bad things happen. But set the mode (dropdown in the bottom left) to "Skinned Mesh". Ignore the "JTGame" settings. And a few other caveats - make sure "Right Handled" on the left pane is not checked; make sure "Position Scaling" in the left pane is set to 1; and set "Animation Scaling" or whatever to 1 (it's usually 216 and ends you up with thousands upon thousands of animation frames).

There is also a small animation program called CharacterFX which provides more robust animation capabilities than milkshape. It also has a version of the DirectX(JT) plugin which works just as well as the milkshape one.
_______________________________________________________________________Hoo-rah.
drake, your suggestions worked like a charm! thanks man.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement