Torque Network Library vs. homegrown solution for MMOFPS

Started by
4 comments, last by Dreddnafious Maelstrom 18 years, 10 months ago
Does anyone have any exprience with the Torque Network Library? I am designing what essentially turns out to be an MMOFPS style game and I've been wondering about this lib. Now, I could write my own net code which would most likely not be as advanced but would be less general purpose. However TNL is built for FPS games AFAIK. Any input?
Advertisement
For starters, are you ok with the GPL liscense?
Seriously??? Like 4-6 years head start from a team of network programmers with OpenTNL compared to starting from scratch with your own?

IMHO don't waste your time doing everything on your own. It ain't worth it, and games which are actually completed usually make more money, then beautifully *coded* games half-complete on your HDD..

RakNet is also a decent library, but choose one of them and just go with it dude.

Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
Well, I know about OpenTNL and I also know that you can purchase a programmer seat for ~$300. I was planning on using OpenTNL then purchasing the license if I was close to completion. So you guys think I should try to stray away from Not Invented Here syndrome?
I would...but that being said, there's occasionally some instances where rolling your own makes more sense for your project.

Have you given Torque a try? It's only about $100 a seat, and comes with
the networking logic built right in..

Or if you've already got the graphics, etc done and just need networking support, then (in this case) it might make more sense going with the OpenTNL..

Then as you said, buy a seat license once you're close to releasing something..

I've lost SO much valuable time just because I was so gung-ho on doing *.* by myself...definite signs of a newbie I think. ;)

hth
Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
no experience with open TNL but i can tell you that the author posts here often and has helped me a great deal on my implementation.

I've asked many specific questions regarding an MMOFPS and he's confident that his network library can manage.(in the scope of a thousand a side)
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement