engine issue

Started by
0 comments, last by rpg_code_master 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi ppl :) I was wondering, maybe someone can give me some advice on an issue I'm having with a racing game I'm making. The problem is with the sound of the car engine... What I did is get a sample of a car at say 2000rpm and then using frequency modulation I get the looping sample to play at higher/lower pitch, depending on the rpm of the engine. (eg freq=rpm*5) The thing is it just doesnt REALLY sound like a car, but more like a spaceship, especially at 7000+ rpm :P I've tried different samples, different ratios of rpm/frequency etc.. all having their own set of problems. I'm wondering now if frequency modulation is not the way to go. :? Also, having played need for speed underground 2, I noticed they use 2-3 samples just for the engine sound, one for when the car is not moving, one when it runs at 1000 - 3000 rpm (more bass sound) and one for higher rpm (5k+) kinda interpolating them. That's cool :) Anyway, my question is if there is any other way to do this? Thanx
Advertisement
I would suggest the method that you just stated. Take a sample of a pre 1000 rpm engine, a 1000-3000 rpm engine etc... then interoperate between them. That will give you smooth, near realistic results. The more samples you take, the more realistic the sound will be.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement