[symbian] fast graphics? how do they do it?

Started by
26 comments, last by fardin 18 years, 9 months ago
hello, any ideas how the guys like http://pockethal.droneship.com/features.html and http://www.gapidraw.com/ can churn out fast graphical output (even faster than possible with symbian SDK?) in symbian? thanks.
Advertisement
I'm just guessing but I'd say Direct Screen Access.

shmoove
i personaly dont like direct screen acess at all, getting the framebuffer pointer youself is easier and more pratical imho

you can check how do that with nokia's 3d example code

here i fetched the link for you
"Everything works out in the end, if it doesn't then it is not the end"
But I found this frame buffer pointer is NULL in emulator.
And it seems in emulator the RWsSession::Connect() return error too...
I am doing all these in "exe" mode. Are there any way to make these
work on emulator?
in the emulator you simply use bitmap and copy it to the screen using symbian gui stuff. that 3d example code shows that as well
hm...is it possible to just grab a pointer to the screen? and plot pixels to it ala DOS mode 0x13 style?
Quote:Original post by _nomad_
hm...is it possible to just grab a pointer to the screen? and plot pixels to it ala DOS mode 0x13 style?

It's possible, but I woudn't recommend it. You will have problem with focus switch. More easy to get the pointer to offscreen bitmap and after that use Direct screen access to blit it to screen. That also solve tearing problem.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

It's possible, but I woudn't recommend it. You will have problem with focus switch. More easy to get the pointer to offscreen bitmap and after that use Direct screen access to blit it to screen. That also solve tearing problem.

hmm... seriously i find using DSA harder using TScreenInfoV01 is so much easier, and i havent found focus switch problems, but how the heck it solves tearing?
Quote:Original post by The Alchemist
I but how the heck it solves tearing?

Double buffering solve tearing. Well, I may be off here - I've never encountered tearing, I'm always using double buffering.

Focus problem happens if someone calling you whyle your are playing. If you aren't handling it correctly you will not see phone handle icon on your screen.
uh maybe was my bad writting, but i think you missed the point

i know what focus change is, im just saying that theres no problems with focus change since you can catch focus change even without dsa

except that i think that dsa is too messy, truth is, i dont even remenber why i remenber trying dsa few months ago and hating it, specialy after i saw how simply getting the screen buffer was :P

as far i know, tearing in s60 is unavoidable since theres no vsync at all(wtf they were thinking?), and obviusly you need to backbuffer, even if you had vsync rendering to frame buffer would just be stupid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement