Sign in to follow this  
The C modest god

Will I ever need this?

I am math and CS student. I wonder if I will ever need some of the things I learn for game programming or programming in general: Things like: lebeg's integral, topology, modern algebra, partial diffrential equations? Or do you think the more math I will learn the better(for programming)?

You might need them depending on what you end up working on. But the rational thinking they will teach you will serve you throughout your career.

At least Topology and Modern Algebra are worth learning just for the fun of it (and the sense of being sooooo smart when things start falling into place) if you ask me.

shmoove

I handled ok modern algebra, but groups was a nightmare. Eventhough I passed both, I dont think it fell in place for me. It was too much abstract for my mind to comprehend, maybe if I tried to learn it again and slower.
Calculus and ODE feels a lot more concrete compared.
Something that will use lebeg's integral should be very creative.

Quote:
Original post by The C modest god
I am math and CS student.
I wonder if I will ever need some of the things I learn for game programming or programming in general:
Things like: lebeg's integral, topology, modern algebra, partial diffrential equations?
Or do you think the more math I will learn the better(for programming)?

PDEs are tremendously useful. For starters, they allow you to model virtually anything that can be interpreted as a field (gravity, electromagnetism, etc.). They also model fluids and gases, making them well-suited for doing things like realistic flames or capturing exactly how a drop falls off a leaf.

Universal algebra allows you to make a lot of important statements regarding graphs and the like. And topology lets you do cool things with surfaces -- figuring out how to transform them from one thing to another, for instance.

Everything you described is useful in its own way. I've never heard of "Lebeg's integral", though. Can you describe what that is?

Quote:
Original post by kSquared
Everything you described is useful in its own way. I've never heard of "Lebeg's integral", though. Can you describe what that is?

I assume he means a Lebesgue integral.

Quote:
Original post by kSquared
Quote:
Original post by The C modest god
I am math and CS student.
I wonder if I will ever need some of the things I learn for game programming or programming in general:
Things like: lebeg's integral, topology, modern algebra, partial diffrential equations?
Or do you think the more math I will learn the better(for programming)?

PDEs are tremendously useful. For starters, they allow you to model virtually anything that can be interpreted as a field (gravity, electromagnetism, etc.). They also model fluids and gases, making them well-suited for doing things like realistic flames or capturing exactly how a drop falls off a leaf.

Universal algebra allows you to make a lot of important statements regarding graphs and the like. And topology lets you do cool things with surfaces -- figuring out how to transform them from one thing to another, for instance.

Lebesgue (if thats how its called) allowes you to do integrals on functions that reiman's integral cant. Such as a function that have 1 on the rationals and 0 on the irationals (direchle?)

If you ever plan on doing a lot of advanced CS stuff, modern algebra is a must. In addition, topology, or at least a thorough understanding of metric spaces, completeness, etc. is termendously useful in some areas of algorithm analysis. If you are doing a math double major like I am, you should definitely try taking all of them.

Algebra is not that bad, except for classical algebra, which is probably the least useful for programming. Things like linear congruence relations and gcd proofs are essentially useless in the cs field.