Books to read?

Started by
15 comments, last by m3rcyful ag3nt 18 years, 10 months ago
Well, I've looked at reviews for many books, and recommended books in many places. But after all this searching, I'm still confused. I'm currently taking an online course on C++. After I finish this course, I would like to begin shifting all of my programming towards game development. So, could someone please give me a list of good books to read, in somewhat of an order. To go from C++ programmer, to Game Developer. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.
Advertisement
i haven't read it myself, but from what i know C++ for game programmers
may help you shift you C++ experience to game development
I would start with beginning c++ game programming. It is a great book that teaches the basics of c++ while focusing the examples on making small console based games. You might think the stuff is useless just because it is all console, but it is a MUST before trying to program graphics.
Quote:Original post by SKATIN_HARD
You might think the stuff is useless ... but it is a MUST before trying to program graphics.

Absolutely correct. When writing a console based game, you'll find yourself dealing with things such as pointers and variable handling, which are both heavily used in graphics programming (especially SDL - every graphic you use is a pointer).

Quote:Original post by SKATIN_HARD
I would start with beginning c++ game programming. It is a great book that teaches the basics of c++ while focusing the examples on making small console based games. You might think the stuff is useless just because it is all console, but it is a MUST before trying to program graphics.

Yeah I have that book too and even though it focuses on textbased games all the underlying logic like the underlying AI you need for graphics games is there.
Check out the tictactoe game as it evolves from no AI to basic computer AI.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:To go from C++ programmer, to Game Developer. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

Are you a C++ programmer yet or is it what you need help with now?
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I'm finishing up a course on C++, and getting a C++ Certification from e-learningcenter.com, that doesnt make me an amazing C++ programmer by any means, but I can get by on my own in coding so far.
Well here's probably one of the best list and in order I"ve seen although if you see how many books are on the list it's kinda depressing or a challenge? You decide...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/guides/guide-display/-/2FRIQOWB2THR/ref=cm_bg_guides/103-9358329-7084654
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
That's a nice list, I'll be checking the books out. Any other suggestions?
Only one. At some point you'll have to realize that "game programming" really involves putting together elements from various independent fields (physical simulations, graphics, artificial intelligence, networking, databases). Which means that, in the long run, you'll be better served by reading books dedicated to those individual fields, rather than focusing on the rather limited series of "game programming" books. Game programming books are ok to figure out what are the elements involved in making a game, but generally insufficient to really master those elements.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement