• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

AI for a hockeygame

This topic is 4708 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When designing a AI system for a 3d hockey simulator game, what methods should you use, I`m new to AI so a few code that describes the concepts will be very appriciated.

Advertisement
Thats a rather large problem. This is because you want "human" player, and most
AI methods would calculate the perfect game (witch is imposible to beat!).

my sugestion:

#Give all your players assignments: CENTERATTACK, LEFTDEFEND...

#Give all the different assignments clues on what they should do in different game states: WE_ATTACK = GO TO X, THEY_ATTACK = BLOCK PLAYERS ...

#Figure out what state the game is in, so that all players know what they should do: WE_ATTACK, THEY_ATTACK, BREAK...

#Add a game manager witch gives special players special objectives: WHEN THEY_ATTACK, NEAREST PLAYER ATTACK PLAYER WITH PUCK. (these objectives overides other objectives.)

#Add a low level AI witch gets simple commands from the higher objectives. GO TO X, TACKLE, SHOOT, CHASE Y....

#Figure out witch low level commands should be used on each high level objective...

#Add it all together, and you got a nice hocky AI :-)

-Anders

Check out the book "Programming Game AI by Example"

Chapter 4 is an excellent example that implements a soccer game. Most of these principles can be directly applied to a hocky game.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Thanks alot..

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!