Which C++ book should I get?

Started by
10 comments, last by persil 18 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I've been programming in C++ since about 3 years now, I'm 17 and learned pretty much everything through 1 C++ book (a bit old, probably not excellent, "Programming in C++" by Deitel & Deitel), the internet, gdnet and playing with other source code. I feel pretty confident about my grasp on the language, except about the fact that often I take a look at other people's code and see how they did all those clever designs and how clear their code can be. (Well, I'm talking about good code here, I've also seen pretty horrible things too [smile]). So, I'm thinking that getting a book to read on my spare time would be quite good, not a book on how to program in C++, but a book on how to write better C++ code. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.
Advertisement
If you're insistent on getting another book, go for it.

But I find that good, clean code design comes from practice, and not something a book can usually force into you.

If you keep programming on your own, you'll learn what works and what doesn't work, and it'll reflect in the nice-ness of your code.

-Gauvir_Mucca
Well, I agree, but reading a book won't make me practice any less, since I'm reading books when I can't program [smile]

And I'm sure that a good book can always bring something useful.. practicing is good, but up to a certain point, I feel like I'm always going in the same direction, which is why I think a book would be good to broaden my horizons.
I just recently went through a similar process.

My conclusion was this book: Pattern-Oriented Software Architecture Volume 1: A System of Patterns

It's an excellent book, and offers a deep discussion of patterns. It assumes knowledge of programming languages in general, which you seem to have, and it's only purpose is to pass on expert design techniques to non-experts.
If you've only learnt stuff about C++ from Deitel & Deitel's book you haven't really learnt C++, i recommend you have alook at some of my reading suggestions here. Pay close attention to the C++ In Depth series.
For cleaner, better code I definitely recommend Code Complete 2nd Edn
Quote:Original post by Aph3x

I'd second that, although I can only speak for the first edition (anyone got any comments as to how much it's changed?)

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
Quote:Original post by JohnBSmall
Quote:Original post by Aph3x

I'd second that, although I can only speak for the first edition (anyone got any comments as to how much it's changed?)

John B

The 2nd edition uses mainly c++/java/visual basic for code examples vs first edition that used pascal.
I think that is the major difference but most of the same concepts that made the 1st edition excellent are still there and updated in most cases!
p.s. I also recommend c++ faq book if you don't already have it.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Code Complete 2nd Edition

This book has helped me in so many ways I can't possibly list them all. If you don't have it, you're probably wasting your time programming.
Quote:Original post by nilkn
I just recently went through a similar process.

My conclusion was this book: Pattern-Oriented Software Architecture Volume 1: A System of Patterns

It's an excellent book, and offers a deep discussion of patterns. It assumes knowledge of programming languages in general, which you seem to have, and it's only purpose is to pass on expert design techniques to non-experts.

The book actually seems interesting, it's $98 CAD though. [oh]

Quote:Original post by snk_kid
If you've only learnt stuff about C++ from Deitel & Deitel's book you haven't really learnt C++, i recommend you have alook at some of my reading suggestions here. Pay close attention to the C++ In Depth series.

I didn't say that [smile]
I first learned from the Deitel and Deitel book, then kept learned from the internet, gdnet and other source code.
I'm not looking to learn C++.

To all the others:
Well, it looks like Code Complete 2nd Edition is quite popular, I'll definitly take a look at it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement