Sign in to follow this  
Samantha aka Lilly

I don't know hwo to start out! Can someone tell me about the different ways i can...

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Lilly Pendragon
......I want to make A multi-player online rople playing game! And I need major help learning all of the systems! Thanks in advance!

I read this post without looking at the author's name, and I thought it was someone being a wiseass.

You need to spend many, many years doing nothing but programming if you ever hope to be able to create such a game. Do you have that kind of commitment? If you do, I'm sure you don't need our help to find out how to learn a programming language. There are, after all, thousands of books and websites on the subject.

raptorstrike    181
O and Boy...

yeah we get about 50 of these every month it seems like so thats prolly why your not getting alot of replys

a good place to start reading would be to go buy a book, I havent bought any beginning c++ books recently but the one i used was Teach your self c++ in 24 hours (Dont get too excited A. thats just the title it takes longer then that to really get the concepts down B. the BASICS take that long the rest longer)

I dont want to discorage you at all but at this point you should aim for a more realistic goal at this point, even with the proper knowlage you are going to (most likely) get a team of people to help you take on a project of that magnintude. Youve gatta start small and I really dont know if you should bother learning this language if you arnt real patient and commited.

Drag0n    186
*takes a deep breath*

A multiplayer online RPG is really not the thing to get started with. Aiming high is good for beginners, but not this high!

I suggest you take a general look at what's involved in game making, and decide what you want to get into.

Cheers,
Drag0n

silverphyre673    454
Quote:
Original post by Lilly Pendragon
make a game? I would be grateful. I'm just really learning everything, and I need some pointers (about everything to make a game). I'll post more and reply later. Ok?

bool * can_program = NULL;

</wiseass>

I haven't used it, but gamedev has a bookstore from which you can probably find beginning c++ books. Try and buy from Addison-Wesley (publishers). They make usually excellent programming books of all kinds, IMO.

You do NOT want to make a MMORPG. First, you must spend time making text based guess-the-number, hangman, pong, and other simple games, for several years. Eventually, you will begin working with graphical applications, and maybe even some networking if you really stick with it. Programming is just like any other profession. You do not become a master before becoming an apprentice. An MMORPG is one example of a programmers masterpiece. There is a reason why there are so few. And if you do it in a non-irritating way, raduprv might even tell you the reason why. In fact, I think he wrote an article on it. Look around for it on this site, and you will become enlightened.

Daaark    3553
Like I said the other day, with NWN you could put together a small/ basic mmorpg like server in a matter of hours and actually have users!

Why doesn't this community recommend the NWN toolset to all posters who want this? It's actually a realistic way for them to realize their goal. It also teaches a C like language, and how to work with AI and an event based system.

silverphyre673    454
Quote:
Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Like I said the other day, with NWN you could put together a small/ basic mmorpg like server in a matter of hours and actually have users!

Why doesn't this community recommend the NWN toolset to all posters who want this? It's actually a realistic way for them to realize their goal. It also teaches a C like language, and how to work with AI and an event based system.

I haven't used it, but I'm not saying its good or bad :) Actually, if what you say is true (I assume it is), then it could actually be a good way to get people interested in programming. The only flaw I see is that once they want to start learning how to program actual C/C++ or some other language, they might be discouraged when they have to start with guess-the-number. Can't use NWN's toolset to make professional games, which I assume is his/her eventual goal.

Daaark    3553
Quote:
Original post by silverphyre673
Quote:

I haven't used it, but I'm not saying its good or bad :) Actually, if what you say is true (I assume it is), then it could actually be a good way to get people interested in programming. The only flaw I see is that once they want to start learning how to program actual C/C++ or some other language, they might be discouraged when they have to start with guess-the-number. Can't use NWN's toolset to make professional games, which I assume is his/her eventual goal.

NWScript is basically C. Same keywords, same syntax, with a bunch of NWN Specific Functions to interact with the engine. There are also tons of documentation and tutorials, and free scripts.

You attach small bits of code to events in the engine. You can go even further and mod it to hell, but most don't, and it's not required.

http://www.nwnlexicon.com/

These are very simple NWN Scripts.

//This script runs in the on damaged event
//and causes the creature to speak to it's attacker
//if it's a pc

void main()
{
object oDamager = GetLastDamager();
if (!GetIsObjectValid(oDamager) return;

if (GetIsPC(oDamager))
{

ClearAllActions();

string sName = GetName(oDamager);

//speak
//gdnet parser is killing my PLUS symbols below...
SpeakString("OW, " + sName + " that hurts!",TALKVOLUME_TALK);

//play random dodging animation
if(Random(2) == 0) PlayAnimation(ANIMATION_FIREFORGET_DODGE_DUCK);
else PlayAnimation(ANIMATION_FIREFORGET_DODGE_SIDE);
}

return;
}

// This script runs in the placeable's onUsed Event, and
// causes the user to be healed when they click on it

void Main()
{
object oUser = GetLastUsedBy();
if (!GetIsObjectValid(oUser) return;

FloatingTextStringOnPC("The mysterious object heals your wounds!",oUser,FALSE);

int nHP = GetMaxHitPoints(oUser) - GetCurrentHitPoints(oUser);
effect eFXHeal = EffectHeal(nHP);
effect eVFXHeal = EffectVisualEffect(VFX_IMP_HEALING_G);
effect eHeal = EffectLinkEffects(eFXHeal,eVFXHeal);

ApplyEffectToObject(DURATION_TYPE_INSTANT,eHeal,oUser);

return;
}

*/

I wish I had access to something like this back in 1998!

[Edited by - Vampyre_Dark on June 5, 2005 5:26:25 PM]

silverphyre673    454
Quote:
Quote:
Original post by silverphyre673
Quote:

NWScript is basically C. Same keywords, same syntax, with a bunch of NWN Specific Functions to interact with the engine. There are also tons of documentation and tutorials, and free scripts.

You attach small bits of code to events in the engine. You can go even further and mod it to hell, but most don't, and it's not required.

http://www.nwnlexicon.com/

These are very simple NWN Scripts.

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

I wish I had access to something like this back in 1998!

Thats pretty cool, and would definitely be a good way to get people interested and educated at the same time. Maybe this should go in the "For Beginners" section. The only problem now is that we would have to learn to distinguish between new programmers asking how to create a MMORPG from scratch that allows you to do anything you want, and ones asking how to mod NWN correctly ;)