Sign in to follow this  
wease

How do I draw sprites? (ie how to create the tga, or BMP files)

Hello, I am creating a 2d game but need some advice on creating sprite sheets. I tried making a series of drawings in photoshop but I can't get the spacing between the drawings perfect without a lot of effort. Is there some program that you can divide an empty image into a bunch of boxes or something so that I can evenly space my sprites? How do other people create sprite sheets?

Well, when I work with sprites I create a sprite table with square dims like 256x256 and make sure that the colour is not going to be your transparent colour (I use black for transparency so I use white on the initial table). I then work out the size of the sprite I want that will fit happily into that table (say with the 256x256 table I use 32x32) for each sprite. I then open up a seperate window thats 32x32 and coloured in black, make the sprite and copy and paste it into the sprite table aligned with the edge of the table. This way you can clearly see where the next sprite goes.

Not sure if that helps

As wierd as it sounds, I simply use Game Maker for creating sprite sheets (sprite strips, actually). Why? It allows you to either use it's internal image editor to edit each frame or select an external program. When I'm done, I tell Game Maker to export it.
I'm planning on making my own little sprite editor, just haven't really gotten around to it yet.