Sign in to follow this  
amak

Retrieving polygon information from a Mesh (X file)

amak    122
Hi. I've a scene in X. I want to create a bsp tree of this scene. For that i need to retrieve information of the polygons from the scene. The information of the polygons are in the index buffer. With the index buffer i catch the vertex information from the vertex buffer. But the index buffer is giving me wrong index of the vertices that a polygon is formed. With that index i get a segmentation fault because is not within the vertex buffer memory bounds. To get an ideia i get a index above 1 million. I will post some code that i use to get the index and vertex buffer and how i read it. To retrieve the index buffer: <code> LPDIRECT3DINDEXBUFFER9 ppIB; m_Mesh->GetIndexBuffer(&ppIB); D3DINDEXBUFFER_DESC pDesc; ppIB->GetDesc(&pDesc); uint32 numBytesIndexBufferEntry = (pDesc.Format == D3DFMT_INDEX16) ? 2 : 4; uint32 size = m_Mesh->GetNumFaces() * 3 * numBytesIndexBufferEntry; void* memTempIndexBuffer; ppIB->Lock(0, size, &memTempIndexBuffer, D3DLOCK_READONLY); memIndexBuffer = malloc(size); memcpy(memIndexBuffer, memTempIndexBuffer, size); ppIB->Unlock(); </code> Retrieve the vertex buffer <code> LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9 ppVB; m_Mesh->GetVertexBuffer(&ppVB); D3DVERTEXBUFFER_DESC pVertexDesc; ppVB->GetDesc(&pVertexDesc); void* memTempVertexBuffer; ppVB->Lock(0, pVertexDesc.Size, &memTempVertexBuffer, D3DLOCK_READONLY); memVertexBuffer = malloc(pVertexDesc.Size); memcpy(memVertexBuffer, memTempVertexBuffer, pVertexDesc.Size); ppVB->Unlock(); </code> Now a polygon is composed by three vertices. Read the vertex index and read the vertex information with that vertex index: <code> uint32 indexBufferFormat = model->GetSizeOfIndexBufferEntry(); uint32 m_NumFaces = model->GetNumFaces(); void* memIndexBuffer = model->GetMemIndexBuffer(); void* memVertexBuffer = model->GetMemVertexBuffer(); for(uint32 i = 0; i < m_NumFaces; i++) { uint32 vertice0, vertice1, vertice2; if(indexBufferFormat == 2) { vertice0 = *(((UINT16*) memIndexBuffer) + (i * 3) + 0); vertice1 = *(((UINT16*) memIndexBuffer) + (i * 3) + 1); vertice2 = *(((UINT16*) memIndexBuffer) + (i * 3) + 2); } else { vertice0 = *(((uint32*) memIndexBuffer) + (i * 3) + 0); vertice1 = *(((uint32*) memIndexBuffer) + (i * 3) + 1); vertice2 = *(((uint32*) memIndexBuffer) + (i * 3) + 2); } VertexPTN v0 = *((VertexPTN*) memVertexBuffer + vertice0); VertexPTN v1 = *((VertexPTN*) memVertexBuffer + vertice1); VertexPTN v2 = *((VertexPTN*) memVertexBuffer + vertice2); uint32 indice_material=0; polygons.push_back(BspPolygon(v0,v1,v2,indice_material)); </code>

amak    122
I resolved the problem. The variable indexBufferFormat was wrong so it was giving odd indexes. Thanks to all.