• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Recommendations for texture problem

This topic is 4732 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In my project I want to represent any character's head as a permatution of many parts. This game will be cartoony so I plan to make the heads simple speroid meshes and have each part represented as textures (They'll look approximatly like Peanuts characters). Parts would include eyes, mouth, nose, hair and perhaps other accessories (mustache, eyebrows, etc.) So there are many ways to do this but I'm wondering if someone with experience has any strong opinions for or against these methods: 1) divide the head into smaller meshes so that each mesh can have a seperate texture (eye region, mouth region, etc) 2) Create a texture for the head procedurally by loading in seperate elements and combining them into one pixmap. Bind the result as the sole texture for the head. 3) many passes of multi-texturing. Parts with transparant backgrounds. 4) Some better method which I have not yet thought of.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Kelly G
1) divide the head into smaller meshes so that each mesh can have a seperate texture (eye region, mouth region, etc)

Its an "advanced" method, but everything depends on the "cartoony level" :) Based on Peanuts characters, you will need different hairdos, nose shapes etc., so this method would come in hand. Example: Phantasy Star On-Line

Quote:
2) Create a texture for the head procedurally by loading in seperate elements and combining them into one pixmap. Bind the result as the sole texture for the head.

Seems the faster one. If possible, save the resulting texture to avoid building it everytime. But remember, this way you couldn't change characters facial expressions, so the characters will be extreme "cartoonish" :)

Quote:
3) many passes of multi-texturing. Parts with transparant backgrounds.

Again, depends on the "cartoony level". If your characters move their mouth, eye and eyebrows often, that would be a good solution over item 2. The result would looks like the marvelous LucasArts Grim Fandango".

Goodbye, and, if possible, give us more details :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!