• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
try_catch_this

Doing things fast.

This topic is 4820 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It seems alot of programs I write have unacceptably lo frame rates on older computers. I am talking in the region of 1.6 frames pers second on a p3 900mhz with integrated gfx card. I rember playing mk4 on a amd k6 with 4mb ati rage onboard card and getting good speed. So the problem is obvioulsy me. I would like to know what these people were doing to get such good performance on now dated computers. I use alot of glbegin glend but I try to put those in display lists. thanks for your help in advance

Advertisement
You should ensure that they're really using hardware rendering.

Remember that on platforms which support hardware rendering, software rendering might still be used if you request context parameters out of the range of the hardware, for example, stencil buffers etc.

If they're using software rendering, you will obviously have a poor frame rate - opengl software rendering is extremely slow. You can't get around that.

Mark

opengl optimization

Using just one tip from this page gave me an in credible performance boost.

Quote:

Don't clear the color buffer at all
If the scene you're drawing opaquely covers the entire window there is no reason to clear the color buffer.

I didnt even catch that when I was profiling.

If you own the OpenGL Programming Guide (the red book), Appendix G has a few pages of general performance tips. And if you don't own it, consider picking it up, it has a wealth of information regardless of your level of knowledge of opengl.

Here's a link to an online version of the appendix of an older edition of the book. Note that this edition has this in appendix h, while the newer 4th edition has it in appendix g

Also remember that back in the days of the P3 900Mhz computer, having a 3D card was optional. This meant that all games shipped with a custom & highly optimized software rendering engine. When OpenGL reverts to software mode it is about the slowest thing on the planet. So if you really want good graphics speed on an old machine, either require that the old machine has a 3D card that supports everything you want to do in hardware, or write your own software renderer.

-me

Quote:
Original post by try_catch_this
opengl optimization

Using just one tip from this page gave me an in credible performance boost.

Quote:

Don't clear the color buffer at all
If the scene you're drawing opaquely covers the entire window there is no reason to clear the color buffer.

I didnt even catch that when I was profiling.

Note the date when that was produced, things have moved on since then for newer hardware, the Forum FAQ has details from a couple of recent (05 & 04) GDC OpenGL presentations which deal with optimising for modern cards.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!