• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lord_buctree

How do you write engines and 3d renderers

This topic is 4821 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
creating your own 3d engine is no easy task ....your best bet to learn about them would be to check out the source code of existing 3d engines, 2 that come to mind are orge and irrlicht. The source code to quake 2 is also available online

You also have to decide what API to support i.e OpenGL or Direct3D or both

There won't be any good tutorials on how to program a game engine in its entirety since there are so many components to consider.

However if you look at the enginuity articles there lies, within one of them, a diagram showing how an engine *could* be structured. Don't take it as gospel because there are so many ways of doing these things.

I have uploaded to the showcase an example framework would *could* be used as the very bottom of an engine.

Good luck.

ace

Here's a link to DevMaster's Game and Graphics Engines Database. Many of these engines are open source - take a look around, hopefully there are some fairly simple ones that you might be able to follow.

These aren't free, but take a look at these book reviews here at gamedev.net

If you're looking for free tutorials online, sometimes google works wonders. But check out the articles here at gamedev.

Quote:
Original post by ace_lovegrove
There won't be any good tutorials on how to program a game engine in its entirety since there are so many components to consider.

Actually...

3D Game Engine Architecture

and

3D Game Engine Design

Can teach you pretty much anything you need to know as long as you can understand math and C++. Although these obviously are not free, but I figured I would post them anyways.

Well, you were given two engines to look at. Irrlicht is pretty decent in terms of open source engines. Quake2 is obviously a good engine, since it is a retail engine, though it may be more complex than you need.

As for me, I recently started making my own engine as well. I didnt know squat about it, but I've done lots of programming for games in the past. But I much prefer the "dive head first in to the deep end and try not to drown and hope you dont hit a pointy rock on your way in" mentality over the "get your feet wet slowly" method. Pressuring myself into getting smarter is always good for me, though I do develope brain leaks, lol.

i bought "3D Game Engine Design" book and i must say that, it is a math/geometry book expect one or two chapters. does not give lots of necessery informations about graphics. you can download its engine from the books site. i think it is not a powerfull engine for graphics, but provides lot of things.. :D
i advice game programming gems series either.
and for start cube engine is really easy to understand and modifiy. (even it is not in oop)

Quote:
Original post by lord_buctree
Thanx guys. By the way what engine do you recommend for me to look at.

I'd recommend looking at creating one yourself before you start looking at others. That way, you learn exactly what's going on, which can make things much easier for you if you later on decide to use a 3rd party engine.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!