looking for GLUT replacement

Started by
22 comments, last by JavaCoolDude 18 years, 9 months ago

there is a irc channel on freenode about ngl / nui.

irc.freenode.net
#ngl

that's a great help.
Advertisement
Thx for the help guys. I'll be checking these out during the weekend (or so I hope)!

If anyone knows any more frameworks or sees a error in my conclusions, please let me know.
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
A not very shameless self pimp: Daedalus (in my sig) I know we spoke over PM, but maybe someone else will come along with the same question :D
Quote:Original post by nurbsway

try ngl / nui

http://home.gna.org/ngl/news.html

(if you have problems, with ngl 0.8 compilation, try 7.9 work great for me).

I have been using NUI/NGL for a private project, too.
If you are having ANY issues with compilation make sure to get the latest version from CVS, the CVS version is usually much more up2date than the downloadable snapshots, there's also plenty of new stuff available from CVS (i.e. support to render flash movies (SWF) in openGL etc.)

I like CPW, but I'm not sure how it fits in your list.

It can handle KB and mouse input, and create windows (even make them fullscreen) with ease. I don't think it has any kind of UI, so it won't work on that front.

It's powerful, but not monsterous and overbearing. It's worked for my applications, and I at least recommend checking it out.
i note you have my OGLWFW on there, there isnt much point in you looking at it as it doesnt have any support for keyboard,mouse or right click menus and its currently not crossplatform (work in progress) [smile]

keyboard and mouse support might well be added via window messages at a later date but menu support certainly wont be added as its geared more towards making games than anything else so expects the GUI to be OpenGL rendered.
Quote:
I have been using NUI/NGL for a private project, too.
If you are having ANY issues with compilation make sure to get the latest version from CVS, the CVS version is usually much more up2date than the downloadable snapshots, there's also plenty of new stuff available from CVS (i.e. support to render flash movies (SWF) in openGL etc.)

what I talk about was a probleme with my zlib version. (I work with the bundle).

If you use the cvs version, just change ngl and nui directories in the bundle.

and there 's also a mailling list if you encounter a problem.

[Edited by - nurbsway on June 29, 2005 12:30:32 AM]
If GLUT does what you want, what else do you need. Just wondering.
I hate to go around promoting my personal stuff, but I happen to be on the verge of releasing my SXML engine 0.9 which has built-in support for:
Shaders
GUI
Texture Manager
Geometry Manager
Folder path Manager
Scenegraph hierarchy
etc...

Here's what a simple window setup file looks like:
<SceneFrame>  <MediaFolder path = "Data/Textures/" />  <MediaFolder path = "Data/Shaders/"  />  <MediaFolder path = "Data/Models/"   />    <MediaFolder path = "Data/XML/"      />  <MediaFolder path = "Data/GUI/"      />  <Window title = "GUI Test">     <DisplayMode  colorDepth  =    "32"                  fullscreen  = "false"                   centered    =  "true"                  height      =   "600"                  width       =   "800"                  x           =     "0"                  y           =     "0" />    <GUIPanel     path        = "GUILayout.xml" />     <GLCaps       accumulation =     "0"                  doubleBuffer =  "true"                  samples      =    "16"                  stencil      =     "0"                   vsync        = "false"                  alpha        =     "0"                  depth        =    "24"                  color        =    "32" />  </Window>     <Benchmark  logFilePath = "Results.xml"              duration    = "10.0"              enabled     = "false"  /></SceneFrame>

I should release a new demo soon as well as few tutorials, let me know if you're interested :)
javacooldude, sound interesting, link?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement