• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
appel

Yes! I'm new and I love it!

This topic is 4886 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just stopping by to say "hey". I'm new to game graphics, but I'm looking forward to learning this stuff. I got no big ideas like creating a game, maybe just yet, but rather to learn the basics, the concepts, and a grain of math. I've already taken discrete mathematics and linear algebra courses in my university, and have good programming skills, such as C#, Java, C++, PHP, Perl etc. Hopefully I can put my experience into some use. I've never done any 3d programming, so these are my first steps. I've already been taking a look at Microsoft's Managed DirectX, using C#, and it looks promising. Although I've been "warned" that C++ is a lot better for game development, my intentions are not to create a game, but rather get some demo's running, using MDX. Hopefully when I know enough, I can make a choice to either stay with C#MDX or move to C++. But for now, I like the simplicity of C# and I'm going to start with it. Any advices are welcomed, hints on books, links, etc.

Advertisement
Alright, I found a very nice page:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

Good job on this web site, I think I'm going to learn a lot in here.

There's also some very good information in the For Beginners FAQ, although it depends on what specifically you're looking for as to whether it will be useful to you. I'd highly recommend a look at the FAQ and Sticky threads in any other forum you have an interest in here as well, they tend to have some very good information.

I have a question, it might sound stupid, but here it goes.

What is OpenGL and DirectX?

I believe I know what those are, based on my assumptions they are API that enable the programmer to easily "talk" to the hardware (GPU).

But what are their main differences? Beside DirectX being developed and owned by Microsoft, and OpenGL "free".

Also, can you write a game without using those two? What are the advantages of using OpenGL or DirectX, and disadvantages of using either?

And, I don't like to hijack, but it's of the same subject and the answer may help.

What is the difference between managed directx and just directx?

Quote:

What is OpenGL and DirectX?

OpenGL is a graphics API where as DirectX is a collection of many different multimedia APIs. Direct3D is the graphics API in Direct X (there's also DirectSound, DirectInput etc.) So OpenGL is just for drawing graphics on the screen and nothing else.

You can write a game without using these two if you want but then you need to use for example, Win32 API to draw stuff (slow). OpenGL and Direct3D usually offer hardware acceleration so they're much faster. The main difference with Direct3D and OpenGL is the fact that OpenGL is multiplatform so it's easier to port your game to other operating systems than Windows.

If you want to do only 2D stuff, try SDL. It's a wrapper library with easy to use interface and it's multiplatform. You probably want to use SDL for creating the app window, reading input etc. if you use OpenGL.

I notice that "What language do I use?" (http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/whatlang/) doesn't cover C# :\

I think this subject has been talked about all over the net on every gameprogramming related forum. The purpose of DirectX and OpenGL is kind of the same. I have never worked with OpenGL just because the book I bought is about DirectX. Not one of them is better than then other, although I have heard DirectX needs more setting up. There are positives and negatives about both, just look around :)

Quote:
Original post by appel
I notice that "What language do I use?" (http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/whatlang/) doesn't cover C# :\

email david about it
i think it's
dave@gamedev.net
but i don't know for sure
and when deciding between dx & opengl go for dx first, it's better with C# and
it will make opengl easier when you move on to it

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!