(VC++ 6) Exit without warning.

Started by
6 comments, last by iMalc 18 years, 10 months ago
Hello once again good people, I come to pick the group mind for answers to my newest query [smile] Okay, so here's the deal. I use MSVC++ 6 for all my development, at the moment (I'm not going to upgrade until VS 2005 comes out). Now, everything has been well and good for a quite a while, no inexplicable errors, that sort of thing. Until now. Just for the record, I'm using Preforce as a CVS system, I've had it running for quite a while, never had any problems with it. Anyway, I have one file, ASC-FileInputStream.hpp. I can open it up just fine, edit it and stuff, but when I hold the mouse over the class definition MSVC just exits, no warnings, no errors, no nothing. And this only happens when I'm holding the mouse over the class definition, the #defines, typedefs and so on are all fine foe me to mouseover... Also, this (the exiting) only happens when the file is 'checked out', it never does this when it is checked in. I have no idea what is going on. If anyone has had this problem, or knows of someone who had this problem, and has a solution for me, I would be greatly pleased and in debt to them, for this is driving me up the wall [grin] Thanks!
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!
Advertisement
That's a weird one, have you tried reinstalling it?

Sometimes, I've heard of a friend who had one Microsoft Word document on which the spellchecker wouldn't work. Only one document on his whole PC. It was probably corrupted in some way at a lower level, which got me thinking that you may have a similar problem here.

So I wonder if your header file, in some way, has become corrupted at some level that's causing VC++ 6 to flip out and die? This could happen, I guess, and it's that part of the file that you're hovering over which has the corrupt bits in it. If that's actually what the problem is.

It could be anything, as I say, it's a weird problem.

Wish I could be of more help, but there doesn't seem to be a reason that I can think of immediately.

ukdeveloper.
You might try doing a 'Clean Project' and then rebuilding. It may be that the class browse browse information is somehow different for the checked-in vs checked-out files.
ukdeveloper: I've been saving that one for last, reinstalling that is, I'll probably do that later on today. I strongly doubt that the file is corrupted, for a few reasons.. Firstly, it only does this when it is checked out. Secondly, when I open it in notepad, there are none of the hallmarks of corruption, that is, odd characters, line breaks, etc. I don't think the project file is corrupted either, because I had a look in it as well. Thanks for the help though!

Dave Hunt: Did that, no luck. That happens to be my first answer when things go wrong inexplicable [smile] Thanks anyway though!

[Semi-EDIT] I think the only thing more vexing then an unsolved nagging problem, is a solved nagging problem, where you have no idea why it occurred, why doing what you did solved it, or even anything about it [grin] I was messing around, syncing all the files to head revision, etc. All in all, just playing with things hoping for results.. At any rate, I'm not spontaneously exiting now, so I think things are good [grin] Must have been the sync..

[EDIT^2] Nope. I guess not.
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!
Try deleting the classbrowser cache (.ncb file).
Kippesoep
Just out of curiousity, it will be regenerated, no? Keep in mind that that's a hypoethical question, because I think I've fixed it now..
Yeah, it's regenerated. BTW, with VC6, deleting the .ncb file is the first thing to try when you get unexplained errors/crashes with a project.
Kippesoep
You should not be checking in ncb, bsc, plg or any other types files generated by Visual Studio, btw. We don't even check in dsw files.
Just the dsp, cpp, hpp, c, h, and rc files (and any other resources) should do it.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement