Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus [ 2nd Edition]

Started by
5 comments, last by Nokturnal 18 years, 10 months ago
hi I am a new member here , so greetings to you all :D i got this book from a friend , unfortunately he had got it from some other friend .....yada yada yada .....bottom line , i dont have the disk which has the SDK , since the book uses some direct draw , which is not there in some versions ( i am not aware of them) but which version of Dx Sdk should i install , DX 7 Or Dx 8 ?? And another question being , will installing a old sdk ie 7/8 , mess with the dx 9 which i ve currently running on my system ? Thanks
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943
Advertisement
Well i think that book uses DX 8, so i guess you should probably install the DX8 SDK if u want to follow thru Lamothe's examples. Installing an older DX *SDK* will not have any effect on the DX 9 (or later) *Runtime* so don't worry about that.

Hope i helped
Imagine what we''ll know tomorrow...
I'm not sure which DX version the book is using, but you can download anything on the CD from here(including the correct DX SDK): http://safariexamples.informit.com/0672323699/
thanks , dipperdan - that does help me , i ll download the 8 sdk and install it.
wow .....CTar , thanks a million man :)

i guess i ll get started on the downloads :P

just another question , i made a brave move and already installed Dx9 Sdk ,
after uninstalling , this wont mess with the Dx 8 sdk , will it ?

man i hate formatting :(
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943
you should be able to use the dx9 std with the book. to the best of my knowledge, they are backwards compatble.
Charles Reed, CEO of CJWR Software LLC
Quote:Original post by Nokturnal
hi
I am a new member here , so greetings to you all :D

i got this book from a friend , unfortunately he had got it from some other friend .....yada yada yada .....bottom line , i dont have the disk which has the SDK , since the book uses some direct draw , which is not there in some versions ( i am not aware of them) but which version of Dx Sdk should i install , DX 7 Or Dx 8 ??

And another question being , will installing a old sdk ie 7/8 , mess with the
dx 9 which i ve currently running on my system ?

Thanks

2nd edition, and the firts one two uses is written using DirectDraw7 (U only need DirectX 7 SDK). But if U want using DirectInput8, sound and other (8th ver is in the book) U must have DirectX 8 SDK.
Advice: try developing your apps in Direct3D. The book "Game Programming All In One" must help U.
@Fish Fishes : i ll check that book out for sure :)

i d like to deviate from this topic and ask you guys a compiler related question .

Well the book involves everything using Dx8 Sdk , and the Vc++ 6.0 compiler which i have has a another version of library's . Even though if i add files manually
to the project ie from the include folder of the sdk , it ends up linking to the default includes with vc 6.0 , well one solution i figured out is to overwrite the files with the ones from the sdk , is there any other way how this can be achived ??
ie , is there some option in vc++ to set the compiler include path so that it looks for the sdk path first then looks into its original directory.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement