Just use BASIC

Started by
24 comments, last by Daaark 18 years, 10 months ago
As far as beginning in game development you can't get any simpler and more beginner friendly. Especially if you want to complete a full game development process. It's a good learning tool and I vouch for it one hundred percent. All the key words are within the editor and you don't really need to learn someone elses screwy code or some complicated graphics configuration. You will have to learn the ins and outs of managing graphics and good coding practices in order to keep your game running smoothly. You can always go back and convert your algorithms into C/C++ or Visual Basic when you feel you want to add more to your games. As a beginner of Game Development I find that Basic helps to put things into perspective since you have a small learning curve which allows for quick experience in the realm of game creation. And by BASIC I am meaning QuickBasic the old ms-dos language suposedly replaced by Visual Basic.
Advertisement
is this a question or a comment? seems like a useless post to me.
- GDKnight
And burned, people here are rude.

I was simply expressing my opinion to Beginners.
But why QBasic? There are many more modern languages which are about as easy (Python, for example).
Here is a link to a free basic compiler you might be intersted in - it uses the same syntax as quick basic but instead is a 32 bit compiler that can create lib / obj /dll /exe files.

I have never used it but I would imagine if you like Quick Basic you could naturally shift over to this compiler - which introduces things like pointers - so you could eventually move to c/c++

http://www.freebasic.net/

-------------Become part of developing the specifications of a new language. Visit CodeBASIC.org
Well for one thing QBasic has built in functions for handling graphics so there aren't any searching the internet for graphic librarys that need to be imported.

I'm not sure about using python as a beginner language in programming development I'll try it but the simple reason that python is a C/C++ style scripting language which is an interpreted language gives me the willies.

But to each his own and mine would be QBasic for simplicity, and easy of use.
FreeBasic sounds pretty cool! I'll give it a try!

You can compile programs in Quick Basic... just have to get version 4.5 or 7.1
Quote:Original post by 5MinuteGaming
Well for one thing QBasic has built in functions for handling graphics so there aren't any searching the internet for graphic librarys that need to be imported.
Lets see you do fast 3D model viewers in it.
Quote:I'm not sure about using python as a beginner language in programming development I'll try it but the simple reason that python is a C/C++ style scripting language which is an interpreted language gives me the willies.
Um, it looks nothing like C/C++. The only thing that makes it similar to C/C++ is that it's ALGOL descended, which QBasic is also. QBasic is also an interpreted language.
Quote:But to each his own and mine would be QBasic for simplicity, and easy of use.
Don't make up your mind before looking at other languages
Quote:You can compile programs in Quick Basic... just have to get version 4.5 or 7.1
You can in Python also.
Quote:python is a C/C++ style scripting language which is an interpreted language

A wouldn't really call Python a scripting language, sure it can be embeded in an application but it doesn't have to be, it's a full-blown language. I also wouldn't say Python is C/C++ style, what exactly about it would you say is C/C++ style? It is an interpreted language but why does that matter especially for a beginner where you don't need every last bit of power your hardware can give you? QBasic is also an interpreted language (IIRC).
Good for you.

Now why don't you consider this. The general rule for starting new threads on the forums are that the topic adressed should be of significance and interest to the people of the community.

I'm sure you're aware that threads about what kind of language is better or worse to begin with are started at least once per day, so there should be plenty of information on the subject accumulated on the forums already.

It's one thing if a new member who isn't accustomed to the forum rules make this kind of repost, but you seem to have been a memeber for some time and should not be aware of this. You set a bad example for the new members who come here looking for help.

So, if you just have a need to express your opinion and if you don't care whether anyone has any interest in what you are saying, I suggest you contribute to the community by signing up as a GDNet+ member and start a journal.

Regards.
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker
Actually, I used to use Qbasic. It becomes very difficult to develop games due to it's lack of features. Sure it has very minimal graphics capability, but I seem to remember a plethora of hacks to add these basic features that are trivial to aquire in most other development environments, such as python with pygame, or C++ with SDL. Qbasic doesn't even have mouse support.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement