How can I learn game programming?

Started by
14 comments, last by SKATIN_HARD 18 years, 10 months ago
I'm just learning and need some advice and/or help. I don't understand much of this site yet so please don't flame me, ok? Please post and/or pm me! Please and thank you!
Advertisement
Most of the information you need to start can be found in the articles section of gamedev.net's website. Or the "for beginners" section.

If thats not enough info you can also check out flipcode.
- GDKnight
flip code?
Flipcode has various articles and tutorials on various techniques used in game programming. Its a very informative place to check out and read about various methods used in game programming. Lots of articles.

There is also GameTutorials it has quite alot of info as well. With source code so you can look at a few examples.
- GDKnight
Quote:Original post by Lilly Pendragon
I'm just learning and need some advice and/or help. I don't understand much of this site yet so please don't flame me, ok? Please post and/or pm me! Please and thank you!

Do you even read our replies? Or are you just going to keep abandonning your old threads? Over the past few days, a bunch of us have posted all kinds of information for you, and given you links and leads to go and start reading up on. Here is a link to your profile to see all your old threads, read up on the replies to your question there. If you're not going to make an effort to read and act up on the information we give you, there is no reason for any of us to reply to you from here on out.

If I'm wrong, and you have read up on some of this stuff, you need to start asking specific questions on what you are having trouble understanding.

1) Go read up on the leads you were given.
2) Try to decide on what programming language you want to learn.
3) Start reading about it.
4) Ask for specific help when you get there.

Not trying to be mean here. But you are going to have to make an effort on your own if you are going to expect help from us, or to get anything done.
sorry dark.. But I don't know how to use C or C++ or any of those others. I just don't understand any of this. I'm sorry for being annoying and stupid.
Quote:Original post by Lilly Pendragon
sorry dark.. But I don't know how to use C or C++ or any of those others. I just don't understand any of this. I'm sorry for being annoying and stupid.
Okay. You've chosen c++?

What have you read about it that you don't understand? You can try going to your local library and find some beginner C++ books.

Huge list of C++ tutorials.
http://www.programmershelp.co.uk/c++tutorials.php
- GDKnight
If you want to learn C++ then start here.

A easyer to learn language is Python.

There are many languages so you should find your favorite but I recomend you start with C or Python.
Actually, I know of an excellent book you may be able to find at your library. I can't think of the title. It was written by "John Smiley" I think. I will try and find it after I come back from watching RAW.

Until then, this serves as good introduction to tell you what c++ is. You can read that, and look up computer programming and stuff to get a feel for what it is all about.

-edit- I found it quick... it's called 'Learn To Program C++' by John Smiley.

Here is a sample chapter so you can see the writting style of the book, very good book for a beginner I think.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement