Creating a name

Started by
8 comments, last by Kylotan 18 years, 10 months ago
I need a name for my game but I dont know how to come up with a good one. Im not good at character names either. How do you come up with names? Any suggestions?
Advertisement
Good titles are a challenge. I suggest you place the key words describing the content and context up on the wall on a large sheet of newsprint, and let the concepts move around in your head. Something surely will emerge.

Adventuredesign

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

[google] search for random name generators.

lazy but gives you some nice names to work with.

---------------Magic is real, unless declared integer.- the collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
Write down all the letters in the alphabet. Then take out all the ones that don't fit into your game. Be sure to leave some vowels otherwise it will be unpronounceable. You should have 8-12 letters left over. The less the better. Arrange these letters into a word. You don't have to use all the letters. Think about what the word might mean if it was actually a word. Change the word slightly or startover with the letters you have. Repeat. If you can, ask a friend or family member thats not in the project. The word might mean something completely different to them.

Alternatively use scrabble tiles to create your name. For me its sometimes easier to be able to physically be able to manipulate the letters than writing them down.
I'd second what adventuredesign said. Also, go to any video games website and find a nice big list of a bunch of games. Remember, the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources*. [grin]

* Albert Einstein
Quote:Original post by yapposai
[google] search for random name generators.

lazy but gives you some nice names to work with.

I dont like random name generators. There just too random.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Usually I write a list of words, including:

adjectives that describe the game
characters in the game
locations in the game
special features of the game

then mix and match.... while doing that, a proper name might pop in your head, or you could mix a good one.

Usually you'll wind up with something similar to a mixed name.

Note: mix senses! write and read them out loud. Try telling someone else about it. Uses more of your brain than if you do it alone in silence :)
Working on a fully self-funded project
Hey, you can always write quest of ... or something like this
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
Not sure I agree with all his points but this might be worth a read.
The game should give you the name. What's it about? Who's in it? Why would anyone play it? What will they feel like when they do? Is there a central theme? Or maybe a moral to the story? Is it like another game (and thus could use a similar name)?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement