• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Question about DXTrace()

This topic is 4732 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm trying to replace the DXTrace() function with my own, but there is one bit of functionality that I cannot replicate. When DXTrace() is called with true as the last parameter (opening up a message box), there is a yes/no option presented. When you click on yes, it will step into the code and allow you to debug the program. Does anyone know how DXTrace() does this? Is there some sort of function call that can be made at runtime that will step into the code at a line specified? I'm using C++ in .NET 2003. Thanks :)

Advertisement
I don't think that's the way DXTrace does it, since I'm not hitting any keys. I just press "Yes" and it starts debugging.

Well I'm not sure how DXTrace works, but I think what you are describing is breakpoints. Hitting F9 in visual studio places a break point. The hit F5 and the application will run until it hits that breakpoint. You can then step through line by line with F10.

Matt Hughson

I know how to place breakpoints and all of that -- Try DXTrace() and see what I mean.

While the program is running, if you call DXTrace and click "Yes" in the message box, the program will start debugging at __LINE__ (or whatever line you specify as the parameter to DXTrace()).

Does anyone know how DXTrace() "dynamically" enters into debug mode during runtime?

Quote:
Original post by kosmon_x
Hello,

I'm trying to replace the DXTrace() function with my own, but there is one bit of functionality that I cannot replicate. When DXTrace() is called with true as the last parameter (opening up a message box), there is a yes/no option presented. When you click on yes, it will step into the code and allow you to debug the program.

Does anyone know how DXTrace() does this? Is there some sort of function call that can be made at runtime that will step into the code at a line specified? I'm using C++ in .NET 2003.

Are you looking for DebugBreak() ?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!