My website!

Started by
14 comments, last by zetto 18 years, 10 months ago
Heres the website for the MMORPG im making. Its gonna be 3d so this might accually intrest some people! www.the13thhour.net Zetto
Advertisement
Handful of things...

1) The intro's bright background makes the text hard to read.

2) Your main page has the title of New Page 1.

3) You probably want to center your text in the menu to make it look more organized/neat.

4) I would suggest using spaces so instead of LandOfDekkane you have Land Of Dekkane.

5) Don't bury the fact that the screen shots aren't created by you, but by another game using the same engine. Put it on the top to prevent misunderstandings.

6) Use a phpBB skin that looks similar to your website color scheme.

7) Home is traditionally the first thing you see on a menu (top-down, or left to right). Just a style thing, but hey most things are =)

8) Your claims are obviously excessive to anyone who has seriously tried to build a MMORPG or other multiplayer game. Its doubtful, unless you have a strong team hidden in a wing somewhere of 10+ people, that you will be able to release in about 6 months anything worth paying for. Even with an existing game engine which will handle most of the dirty work for you.
You know what this forum sucks
Even when anybody just METIONS the word MMORPG people go stupid
Its true. I know what im doing and I have it all planed out so I WILL be able to release in time. Though I thank you for your comments Im sick of people flaming me the second i say MMORPG

Zetto

PS I have a team of 7
ok, you might want mention them in your website to :)

Anyways, a few things you should know about:

1. The background is a silly photoshop effect wich doesn't give a proffesional look.

2. The text is all too bright, there where places i couldn't read the text.

3. The flash intro's good, although i advice you not to use the StarWars melody.

4. The flash buttons in the menu looks cool, but honestly i doubt they where made by you, since the rest of the page looks like something made in word. Sorry if i'm insulting you in some way but thats just my way of saying it when people go:

Quote:

Its true. I know what im doing and I have it all planed out so I WILL be able to release in time.

Good luck with your MMO, i hope you make it :)

Hope I was helpful. And thank you if you were!
Quote:Original post by zetto
You know what this forum sucks
Its true. I know what im doing and I have it all planed out so I WILL be able to release in time. Though I thank you for your comments Im sick of people flaming me the second i say MMORPG

Zetto

PS I have a team of 7

I don't think they bash EVERYONE who says MMORPG, but we get a lot of noobs coming in who think they can make an MMORPG. It's tiring to explain to each of them that the chances of them completing an MMORPG are right in line with a public apology from president Bush.

My suggestion is that if you want people to take you seriously on your MMORPG, have a working demo that at least allows people to log in, walk around, and maybe talk to each other before you announce your project. Yes, it sucks that you can't just announce your project, but you can blame those noobs for that.
the intro is really bad and makes you look so unprofessional. And you misspelled "decision" with "desision"

But the screenshots are great and at least you have a decent server and are not hosting on freewebs, so you probably have more chances than the average MMORPG poster on gamedev :P

Nowadays people need videos to believe. (Take the game ragdoll kungfu, people went crazy about it only for the videos, then the gameplay probably sucks from what I've seen, but still it's a joy for the eyes)
Got a Mac? Check out my game at [a]http://www.radicalrebound.com[/a]
Also, you stole the Star Wars title song. If George Lucas finds out, he's gonna sue the pants of you. Better change it.

Toolmaker

No offense, but I would get someone else to do the web design.

How old are you? What is your team's qualifications? How old are your team members?

And yeah, I think you made this site with word, or possibly, frontpage express.

I don't mean to bash, but I know how guys like you work --I used to do the same things back in the day :P

Quote:If you are proficent in the Blitz 3D programming language then The 13th Hour Studio's Wants You!

Need I say more.
The G'Bro GameDev Society! -The Southeastern US GameDev Gathering Group
By using someone else's screen shots to present your game is not only dishonest, it could be illegal. I don't know what game you took those from, but unless you have their consent to use their screen shots for your game, they can sue you for loss of revenue. This is not a personal attack or meant to degrade you. You simply don't seem to be aware of the consequences of using other's works without permission (screen shots, Star Wars theme).
If I may....

zetto,

The first thing you need to learn in the business of game development is, "Grow a thick skin." Don't take these harsh words personally.. Instead, try to grasp the good points that each one of these people are making and improve the next time you speak about your project publicly.

Personally,
I've recieved *ALOT* of flames on my project which is why I don't visit many forums. Not many people can *view* your concepts or ideas via a post. So, I had to learn how to be professional, improve, and most importantly... *NOT* OVER HYPE.. Show what you've done, not screens from another person's game.

On MMORPG
It seems like everyone is trying to enter the MMO arena.. Personally, I think the idea is boring. Its nothing more than a digital chat room.. (not meant as a flame, just my opinion.) People get frustrated with guys who talk about MMO games because, in your case, you can't even show a screenshot of your game running locally. Why should people get excited about your MMO project? At this stage its an open promise with not much substance to back it.

Now... saying that.. I wish you the best of luck. I am in the *final* stages of developing a 2D RPG engine. It runs network & online with up to 10 people and I'm currently working on my 1st commercial game. As the support grows for this engine, I intend to move to MMO. You can check my project here http:www.explore-rpg.com

I sincerely wish you the best of luck for your project. And don't let harsh criticism get you down. :)

To all the critics,

Could we try to be a little nicer? All of your comments were 100% true (actually 105%) and I agree with what you posted... I guess, I'm just concerned about how it was posted.. Year's ago, I used to be the excited guy posting and getting flamed.. Lets try to encourage new guys rather than discourage.. ;)

Thanks and best wishes..

Tye
Explorations v9.0http://www.explore-rpg.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement