• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
glSmurf

dealing with multiple contact points

This topic is 4817 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been searching for good way of dealing with multiple contacts for a while now. It is pretty hard to find any relevant information on the subject. Does anyone know of any easy to understand tutorials/articles/code samples? [Edited by - glSmurf on June 7, 2005 10:36:08 AM]

Advertisement
The more realistic is the LCP method but hard to implement ( not a lot of clear documentation ) and the impulse based methode is quite simple to implement but it's hard to deal with friction

Quote:
Original post by maxime959
The more realistic is the LCP method but hard to implement ( not a lot of clear documentation ) and the impulse based methode is quite simple to implement but it's hard to deal with friction

In terms of realism, energy accuracy, and symplectic-ness (area preservation of motion), I'll put an impulse-based simulator up against any LCP-based simulator.

I was able to implement an energy-accurate simulator (can run for weeks without drift) using 100% impulse physics (no ad hoc or penalty forces): the motion looks real. Reasonbly accurate simulation of friction (not just basic Coulomb friction) is also possible (as opposed to truncated approximations typical in "optimization methods" (Jacobi formulations, etc.)).

I have yet to see an LCP or other implicit/semi-implicit simulator perform in such a manner. The big win for the LCP and implicit/semi-implicit integrators is general stability and ease of implementing arbitrary constraints (and that's a big win for a commercial product).

An energy-accurate, fully symplectic, general constraint solving simulator would make an ideal candidate for a standard OpenPL physics system. It's certainly possible, it's only a matter of time (perhaps already been done but not published). A particle-based method would most accurately reflect reality (ILM uses a decent method), as nothing is truly rigid. This would also allow for transitioning between soft and hard objects, as well as arbitrary constraints, realistic deformation, stacked objects, cascaded collisions/stacking/propagation, and ease of fracture. Particle systems are also relatively small, and easy to implement (including implicit or semi-implicit methods with energy-correctors). Such a system should run very fast on relatively simple hardware (and memory access/caching could be very efficient)... In the past, multiplication, division, and sqrt were very expensive. When the same strides are made with a particle-physics-based processor, rigid objects and stiff constraints won't be expensive anymore.

Another win for a particle-based hardware simulator: the entire system can be computed in parallel. A prediction: a quantum computer will allow extremely complex physical simulations to be computed using a parallel-particle model.

[Edited by - John Schultz on June 8, 2005 12:23:21 AM]

Quote:

I don't get what you mean by this - it's possible to use a LCP solver to calculate impulses so you're not comparing like with like.

One thing about John's list - jiggle doesn't use penalty forces it uses penalty impulses to resolve penetrations caused by terminating the iterative solution method early.

Quote:
Original post by MrRowl
Quote:

I don't get what you mean by this - it's possible to use a LCP solver to calculate impulses so you're not comparing like with like.

One thing about John's list - jiggle doesn't use penalty forces it uses penalty impulses to resolve penetrations caused by terminating the iterative solution method early.

Sorry Danny, I thought your code applied relaxed impulses (which I would consider to be effectively forces (acting like springs, as the change would not be instantaneous)). Thus, as soon as you relax an impulse, it acts like a force...

Quote:
Original post by MrRowl
Quote:

Sorry, I meant LCP method and relaxed impulses method.

Quote:

I was able to implement an energy-accurate simulator (can run for weeks without drift) using 100% impulse physics (no ad hoc or penalty forces): the motion looks real. Reasonbly accurate simulation of friction (not just basic Coulomb friction) is also possible (as opposed to truncated approximations typical in "optimization methods" (Jacobi formulations, etc.)).

I would be very interested to see your code and maybe examples. ( not that I don't believe you :) )

Quote:

I've been searching for good way of dealing with multiple contacts for a while now. It is pretty hard to find any relevant information on the subject. Does anyone know of any easy to understand tutorials/articles/code samples?

You can look at my implementation http://www.sf.net/projects/inertia2d

[Edited by - maxime959 on June 8, 2005 7:24:12 AM]

Quote:
I would be very interested to see your code and maybe examples. ( not that I don't believe you :) )

John's stuff is here:

http://www.brightland.com/ac/amazingcurves_networked_physics.htm#Perfect_Physics

Quote:
You can look at my implementation http://ww.sf.net/projects/inertia2d

For anyone else looking - the missing letter in this URL is a "w"!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!