• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EODCyismARDEM

frames per second

This topic is 4886 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Unless you want to partipate in screen tearing, your actual frames per second must be limited to the refresh rate of the monitor... right? If this is true, how exactly would you display the frames per second disregarding the fact that your program must wait for the video retrace to come about. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm sure i remember games displaying that they were achieving 100+fps, in fullscreen, yet not noticing any tearing.

Advertisement
Yep - any framerate over the refresh of your monitor may cause tearing. But 99% of the time is not really noticable. From 1 frame to the next how much is actually different? Not very much is the answer - each frame is only very sleightly different to the last one, so when you draw half of a frame with your first render and half with your 2nd render most of the time they're so close together you don't actually notice its not all the same render on screen. Especially seeing as 10ms later there is a different render there covering up the old broken one.

Tearing is only a problem if one frame is very different to the next one, so when you get half of each frame on the screen at once it looks wrong. If both frames are identical there is no way to tell, and if both frames are close then its hard to tell. So its not really that much of an issue. I let my stuff run at max framerate and have never had a problem with it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yeah V-Sync normally kicks in so a frame rate doesnt get that high. though for some reason in one of my programs it only kicks in half the time and I've had frame rates of up to 2000 without noticing anything strange. I'm using double buffering by the way.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!