• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
daObi

Terrain Texturing

This topic is 4818 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I recently programmed a terrain demo using directx9c, where i represented the terrain as quads where each quad had six indices pointing to 4 vertices a height map and obiously rendered it using Indexed primitive method. my program allowed user to paint the terrain using different texture maps however rendered only colored vertices( i changed the color of a quad over which the paint brush moved to the respective color - green for grass,bluish white for snow,etc).the problem came when the user finally wanted to render the terrain with all the texture mapped. though the rendering had no problem the engine became drastically slow. what i did was first stored the selected quads for a particular ground type in an array,thus had different array sets for different quads. i skipped the calculation of the total vertex each array was pointing to thus while rendering passed all the vertex to the drawprimitive call. i'm not sure if this caused the problem but i'm neither interested in the technique i'm using. i searched the web for articles and found few, but none woth better. can anybody get me some links to articles about height map texturing or give me some idea about how to do it. Thanks in advance -Obi

Advertisement
the article was good(not better than bloom's though),
though the fact that u have to render the surface as many times as many ground types hit me hard! does that mean games like ages of mythology or warcraft III does the same. that would oviously decrease the frame rate, considering that not every computer supports pixel shader 1.4 or more

[Edited by - daObi on June 8, 2005 2:16:20 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!