• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mgarriss

getting in the door

This topic is 4731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i'm an experienced c++ developer that has spent his entire career doing rather dry software. well the code was interesting but in the end the result was, well, boring. i've been thinking about trying to get into console game programming. i set up a few job search agents on dice.com and monster.com. so far all the jobs (i admit that i've only been looking for a few days now) *require* console experience. my question is this: is there a way to get some practice on a console (anyone) without doing it in a professional setting? are these linux-on-(insert device here) projects a good idea? do those environments really reflect how those boxes are used in the industry? TIA

Advertisement
what compiler have you been using? If you can deal with GCC, you can code for almost anything then.

I myself am working on the dreamcast as a homebrew environment, but that is many many levels tougher than say, working with the GBA. The reason I picked the DC is that it is realy the only one where you can access the 3d hardware. I would say that the dreamcast has been about 80% reverse engineered. The only thing left is a bunch of trivial things.

On the other hand, the GBA is about 99% reverse engineered. It is a much simpiler device, and much better doccumented, not to forget more accessable. The only people who still have dreamcasts are home developers, or diehard fanatics.

i have much experience with gcc, all my development in on *nix at work, including AIX, HPUX, linux, solaris, and freeBSD (and yes gcc runs on all of these).

hmmm...i had not concidered the handhelds....that's very interesting. i'll go googling....

You can like chip a Xbox and use: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openxdk/

I dunno how far they come in the development of that sdk, and how appropriate it is, but there is also an illegal way of achiving experience on the xbox field, which I of course DO NOT recommand you to choose! *hrm*

The development for the xbox, AFAIK, is furiatingly limmited. You don't have access to any of the video card's capabilities, or anything beyond the frame buffer.

If you are already familiar with GCC and feel comfortable with cross compiling, you may want to give dreamcast development a try.

Quote:
The reason I picked the DC is that it is realy the only one where you can access the 3d hardware.

Not true; the playstation 1 allows access to all the 3d hardware and there are docs around documenting it all. Try googling for 'homebrew psx' and 'hitmen psx'.

thanks to "PnP Bios" for suggesting the GBA. this seems like the right path for me. seems like gbadev.org is the best site so far. any other suggestions on sites/communities?

_ugly

A portable like the GBA or DS would probably be the easiest place to start. Otherwise I would go for the Dreamcast. For the GBA and DS all you really need is a flash card. Plus there are some great emulators for both systems. For the Dreamcast you can create selfbooting disks so you don't have to mod the system, and there is the link cable (~$25) and Chankast to test on. So much cheaper than the alternatives. The only downside is setting up the environments can be a pain in the ass for all of them.

For the GBA and DS check out gbadev.org (and the forums) as well as the tutorials and documents at drunkencoders.com. For the Dreamcast check out www.dcemu.co.uk and the KOS library.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!