Using variables inside an object as locals?

Started by
20 comments, last by mfawcett 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi, lets say you have this class: class A{ public: float a,b,c; }; And i have the following function: void DoAnything(A *data){ //... } Is there an official way to use the variables in data as local variables: a=0; b=1; c=2; instead of: data->a=0; data->b=1; data->c=2; ? Any help is appreciated. ps. Just to be clear, of course i know i could make it a member function of class A but that's not what i'm looking for :).
Advertisement
The only way you could do that (that I can think of) is by making it a member function. Why wouldn't you want to do that?
Because i have to use many variables of 2 classes in that function.
I just wondered if there's a way to save me a lot of unneccessary typing :).
at first glance i'd recommend passing in a ref instead of a pointer...

struct foo { int a, b, c; };void bar ( foo & f ) {   f.a = 5;   f.b = f.c;   // etc...}

not what you wanted but a bit more terse and much safer.
friend function?
a freind function will just give you private access. what he is really after i think is making do_anything a member function.
Quote:Original post by DrEvil
friend function?

I can already acces them, i just hoped there was a way to save me some time by accessing them differently.

Quote:Original post by DrEvila freind function will just give you private access. what he is really after i think is making do_anything a member function.

Well, unfortunately it isn't possible to have a 'shared' member function or anything.

Too bad, thanks anyway.
Couldn't you just at the top of the function do this..

float &fA = &object->a;
float &fB = &object->b;

and then access them like normal?
Quote:Original post by segt
Couldn't you just at the top of the function do this..

float &fA = &object->a;
float &fB = &object->b;

and then access them like normal?

Yeah, but still a lot of work, nvm.
Got a new question, is it possible to run a thread of a member function? I get the error:

error C2664: '_beginthread' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'void (__thiscall *)(void *)' to 'void (__cdecl *)(void *)'

Is it possible to typecast that in some way or is it just not possible?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement