• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MetaKnight

Properly map a sphere?

This topic is 4734 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, is there any type of maping that would map a sphere perfectly? With no polar artifacts? I want to put a world map on a sphere and have it no distort at all.

Advertisement
MetaKnight

Every flat surface misrepresents the surface of a sphere in some way. However, a surface or parts of a surface can show one or more, but never all, of the following: true direction, true distance, true area, true shape.

In other words, any time you project a sphere onto a surface, no matter which algoirthm you use, at least one of the above attributes will be distorted in some way. The only thing you can do is search for an algorithm which looks best for your purposes.

Here is a link of common projections used by the USGS to make maps of the earth.

Icosahedral mapping has the least distortion (of the methods I know of) but requires you to build your sphere by tesselating from an icosahedron. Using a cube map gives you a bit more distortion but is very easy to program and works with any geometry.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!