• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
flashinpan

Please help debug simple DirectX app

This topic is 4880 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have the book "Managed Direct X 9 Graphics and Game Programming" Kick Start by Tom Miller. I am trying to run the sample code for Chapter 1 which does nothing more than initialize the graphics device (does no drawing yet). I get a runtime error when I try to run the application. 'DefaultDomain': Loaded 'c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\mscorlib.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne': Loaded 'C:\Documents and Settings\Syndi\Desktop\DXChpOne\bin\Debug\DXChpOne.exe', Symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.windows.forms\1.0.3300.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.windows.forms.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system\1.0.3300.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.drawing\1.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\system.drawing.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\microsoft.directx.direct3d\1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35\microsoft.directx.direct3d.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.drawing\1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\system.drawing.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\accessibility\1.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\accessibility.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system.windows.forms\1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.windows.forms.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\system\1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089\system.dll', No symbols loaded. 'DXChpOne.exe': Loaded 'c:\windows\assembly\gac\microsoft.directx\1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35\microsoft.directx.dll', No symbols loaded. An unhandled exception of type 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.InvalidCallException' occurred in microsoft.directx.direct3d.dll Additional information: Error in the application. Unhandled Exception: Error in the application. -2005530516 (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL) at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device..ctor(Int32 adapter, DeviceType deviceType, Control renderWindow, CreateFlags behaviorFlags, PresentParameters[] presentationParameters) at DXChpOne.Form1.InitializeGraphics() in c:\documents and settings\syndi\desktop\dxchpone\form1.cs:line 35 at DXChpOne.Form1.Main() in c:\documents and settings\syndi\desktop\dxchpone\form1.cs:line 94The program '[564] DXChpOne.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0). Here is line 35: //Create our device device = new Device(0, DeviceType.Hardware, this, CreateFlags.SoftwareVertexProcessing, presentParams); Here is the code:
using System;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Collections;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using System.Data;
using Microsoft.DirectX;
using Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D;

namespace DXChpOne
{
	/// <summary>
	/// Summary description for Form1.
	/// </summary>
	public class Form1 : System.Windows.Forms.Form
	{
		/// <summary>
		/// Required designer variable.
		/// </summary>
		private System.ComponentModel.Container components = null;

private Device device = null;

//page 9 and 10,  DX Kick Start
		public void InitializeGraphics()
		{
			//Set our presentation parameters
			PresentParameters presentParams = new PresentParameters();

presentParams.Windowed = true;
			presentParams.SwapEffect = SwapEffect.Discard;

//Create our device
			device = new Device(0, DeviceType.Hardware, this, CreateFlags.SoftwareVertexProcessing, presentParams);
		}
		public Form1()
		{
			//
			// Required for Windows Form Designer support
			//
			InitializeComponent();

//
			// TODO: Add any constructor code after InitializeComponent call
			//
		}

/// <summary>
		/// Clean up any resources being used.
		/// </summary>
		protected override void Dispose( bool disposing )
		{
			if( disposing )
			{
				if (components != null) 
				{
					components.Dispose();
				}
			}
			base.Dispose( disposing );
		}

#region Windows Form Designer generated code
		/// <summary>
		/// Required method for Designer support - do not modify
		/// the contents of this method with the code editor.
		/// </summary>
		private void InitializeComponent()
		{
			// 
			// Form1
			// 
			this.AutoScaleBaseSize = new System.Drawing.Size(5, 13);
			this.ClientSize = new System.Drawing.Size(292, 266);
			this.Name = "Form1";
			this.Text = "Form1";
			this.Load += new System.EventHandler(this.Form1_Load);

}
		#endregion

/// <summary>
		/// The main entry point for the application.
		/// </summary>
		[STAThread]
		static void Main() 
		{
			//page 11 DX Kick Start
			using (Form1 frm = new Form1())
			{
				//Show our form and initialize our graphics engine
				frm.Show();
				frm.InitializeGraphics();
				Application.Run(new Form1());
			}

}

private void Form1_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
		{

}
	}
}

Advertisement
Is there some place online I can lookup these kinds of errors, by the way? :

-2005530516 (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL)

To get more information on what this means?

I'm guessing it's failing because you didn't pass what format you want to use to PresentParameters so try adding this line

presentParams.BackBufferFormat = Format.Unknown;

And to look up what the errors mean you can always take a look at msdn

EDIT: gah! typo

Quote:
Original post by setaglib
I'm guessing it's failing because you didn't pass what format you want to use to PresentParameters so try adding this line

presentParams.Format = BackBufferFormat = Format.Unknown;

And to look up what the errors mean you can always take a look at msdn

One thing that helped (I tried this before realizing you had posted) was to compile in RELEASE mode vs DEBUG. This cleaned-up the problem.

Duh, I should have remembered that DirectX is quirky in DEBUG mode.

Quote:
Original post by Tom Knowlton
One thing that helped (I tried this before realizing you had posted) was to compile in RELEASE mode vs DEBUG. This cleaned-up the problem.

Duh, I should have remembered that DirectX is quirky in DEBUG mode.

Cool didn't know that it would work without that line.

Anyway, I never had problems in debug mode maybe because I have an older version? [smile]

The debug mode is trying to warn you that you have done something that is considered unsafe/unwise. It may work in relase mode on your machine, and not work on another. It is always best to eliminate those debug warnings/errors so you know you won't run into problems later.

Quote:
Original post by Dave Hunt
The debug mode is trying to warn you that you have done something that is considered unsafe/unwise. It may work in relase mode on your machine, and not work on another. It is always best to eliminate those debug warnings/errors so you know you won't run into problems later.

The problem is back. Now, even Release MODE is not making a difference.

The Format line of code would not compile, btw.

What do I do now?

Why doesn't that line compile what error does it give you?

Did you notice I edited the post? Because I had a little copy/paste trouble there earlier [embarrass]

Quote:
Original post by setaglib
Why doesn't that line compile what error does it give you?

Did you notice I edited the post? Because I had a little copy/paste trouble there earlier [embarrass]

Ahhhh...yes...I see that you changed the line.

Let me give that a try.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!