Most recognised file format used in games

Started by
12 comments, last by Spudder 18 years, 10 months ago
Can someone tell me what is the most recognised file format used in games? Thanks Rapps
Advertisement
exe?

Try to be more precise.. Image file format, movie file format, bsp map, mesh, script?
wad
or
.me (as in READ)
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
.EXE.

On a more serious note, the big ones are probably (in no particular order) lossless JPEG, Targa, PNG, MP3, WAV, Ogg Vorbis, XML, and of course comma delimited text. More specific formats depend, of course, on the kind of data you're referring to.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I would have to say .BMP or .INI
Quote:Original post by Thermodynamics
.me (as in READ)

Funny and also true.

shmoove

.X (For hobbist's at least)

Often you'll see game developers make their own file formats for their games, this way they can ensure they have all the data they need.

:)
I ask for help and you give me a book? I hate book. Book is stupid.Also known as Yellow at the Dark Basic forums.
Thanks for getting back. In answer to, be more precise, I was thinking of big commecial video games in general.
Quote:Original post by Rapps
Thanks for getting back. In answer to, be more precise, I was thinking of big commecial video games in general.

No. Your vagueness wan't because we were confused about what kind of games you were asking about. We can't answer your question sufficiently because you haven't identified what kinds of files you are talking about. For instance:

Sound:
.wav
.mp3

Model:
generally a custom model format for each game
.X for most hobby DirectX games

Texture:
.tga

Clarify what kinds of files you are interested in.

-me
Quote:Original post by Rapps

In that case, yes they use their own format, mostly packed into a couple of large files.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement