• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pucca

pucca needs answers please.

This topic is 4733 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I am new to game programming and this forum. I have these questions: 1.What is the difference between a Game Engine and softwares like OpenGL and DirectX? 2.Are graphics cards substitutes for lower computing power in a particular system ( i.e are they used to just boost up the system in which case getting a faster or more powerful system will eliminate their need ) ? Thanks in advance See you

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by pucca
1.What is the difference between a Game Engine and softwares like OpenGL and DirectX?

OpenGL and DirectX are only APIs, OpenGL is a graphics library and DirectX is a library of graphics, input, sound, etc. A game engine would be something along the lines of Torque which you can look at via GarageGames.

Quote:

2.Are graphics cards substitutes for lower computing power in a particular system ( i.e are they used to just boost up the system in which case getting a faster or more powerful system will eliminate their need ) ?

No. Graphics cards are specialized graphics / mathematics processors with heavy math intrinsics built in along with high performance in their specialized area. One of the biggest pluses is allowing rendering to work concurrently with the CPU in order to conquer the huge task of realtime 3D rendering.

Quote:
Original post by pucca
1.What is the difference between a Game Engine and softwares like OpenGL and

DirectX?
Game engines contain things that are more specific to games or a certain type of game

Quote:
2.Are graphics cards substitutes for lower computing power in a particular

system ( i.e are they used to just boost up the system in which case getting a

faster or more powerful system will eliminate their need ) ?
Graphics cards do the graphics related operations, which frees up the CPU to handle everything else, so a faster system doesn't really eliminate the need for them.

1. OpenGL and Direct3D are used to render graphics. They are for accessing the graphics hardware directly. They aren't game engines, but you would build the graphics part of an engine on top of them.

2. No. 3D Cards are made to do all the graphics processing while the cpu handles other things.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!