console engine?

Started by
4 comments, last by njkt 18 years, 10 months ago
Hello, Well here is a little background info to help you understand what I'll be asking. Whenever I start a new programming language I always start off by making the same console rpg and I learn loads from that. I've made the game with x86 asm, win32 asm (console AND gui), so now I'm making one in c++. The question I have is how would the engine work? In my previous versions I used a simple engine that was none-to flattering and I want to make something more sophisticated this time(mainly using this as a stepping stone to 2D as I have done in the past) but I dont know how it would work. the idea for the game is very simple; kill, gain gold, level up, buy stuff, and kill some more. But in this version I want to impliment a dice system(think D&D) for things such as gold, lvlup hit points, attack rolls, defence rolls, etc. So that leaves me a little puzzled as to how I will make all of this work with a nice console visual. Any help would be very great :) Thanks.
--------------[Nico Projects]
Advertisement
Check out www.adom.de
He has a basic framework to get a text based dungeon crawler working which you can extend yourself.
Zahlman released his Choose Your Own Adventure where you pretty much write in a text file the story bit by bit and then the game works through it with the player.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
thanks for the help guys,

Sailorstick: i think i missed it because i dont see any open source for that?

Rob Loach: im not looking for something already made, just want some direction on how to design this better than i have in the past :)
Yeah, the link's not obvious. Here's the direct page:
http://www.adom.de/misc/qhack.php3

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement