Pretending I have VC 6.0 [SOLVED]

Started by
4 comments, last by moeron 18 years, 10 months ago
I need to write a plugin for a 3d app called Rhino, which I'm sure some of you are familiar with. The problem is that they say the plugin MUST be written using VC++ 6.0. Is there any way I can fake them out by linking to the older runtime libraries or changing some settings in my project? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. moe.ron [edit] btw I'm using MSVC++ .NET 2003 [/edit] [Edited by - moeron on June 7, 2005 5:08:24 PM]
moe.ron
Advertisement
I think you mean the "Requires Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0" on the SDK info page? In all likelihood, that actually means "Requires Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 or better" and you should be fine with 2K3.
Kippesoep
You don't really need to change the libraries as they are pretty much the same , except for the version (which are generally not defined in the project files).
You could get yourself a .dsp (project) file and a .dsw (workspace) file from some unrelated win32 project, and change the contents of them manually. As long as your not using any out-of-the-ordinary compiler flags and stuff, this should be pretty straightforward. And don't forget to remove the project files generate by your complier.

Better would be to finish your plugin code in your VC2003 IDE, locate a pc running VC6, create an new empty project on that, add all the source files and re-compile.
I don't know if the memory management stuff in the VC runtime is 100% compatible between VC6 and VC7+. If it isn't and the plugin interface requires allocating/deleting memory across the interface (e.g. allocating in the plugin and freeing in Rhino) then you will run into big problems.

Your best bet is to contact the makers of Rhino and see what they have to say about it. Maybe there's an updated SDK so that you don't have to do nasty tricks.
-Mike
Quote:Original post by Kippesoep
I think you mean the "Requires Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0" on the SDK info page? In all likelihood, that actually means "Requires Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 or
better" and you should be fine with 2K3.

Thats what I thought at first, but the wording of it in the SDK seems like it really won't work...

Quote:Rhinoceros 3.0 SDK
Limitations:
Plug-ins must be compiled with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
(Microsoft Visual C++ .NET, and versions prior to 6.0 are NOT supported).

I guess I can always give it a try...

@Anon Mike
I guess I can try to find someone with 6.0, but I can't even find 6.0 to buy anywhere on the internet... I think I may still have a copy from when I was in school, but that was a student version and I'm probably not allowed to use it for professional stuff.. Oh well..

Thanks for the quick responses guys
moe.ron
After further searching, I have found some stuff on Rhino's website that should help me produce a VC++.NET 2003 plugin. Thanks again guys!
moe.ron

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement