exponential XP growth rate in RPGs?

Started by
15 comments, last by rmsgrey 18 years, 10 months ago
I am wondering how many RPG's have an exponential Growth rate, and what are some example rates?
-Matt S.
Advertisement
Runescape has the following experience formula, which is sort of exponential:

L is the level, and the summation is there because it includes the experience needed for all previous levels.

I wonder, how did they come up with it :o
Eternal Lands has this formula:
  for(i=1;i<120;i++)    {        if(i<=10)exp+=exp*40/100;        else        if(i<=20)exp+=exp*30/100;        else        if(i<=30)exp+=exp*20/100;        else        if(i<=40)exp+=exp*14/100;        else        if(i<=90)exp+=exp*7/100;        else exp+=exp*4/100;        exp_lev=exp;    }
Quote:Original post by Lode
Runescape has the following experience formula, which is sort of exponential:

L is the level, and the summation is there because it includes the experience needed for all previous levels.

I wonder, how did they come up with it :o

What does Floor mean?
-Matt S.
Quote:Original post by ender_341
What does Floor mean?

floor() just rounds a number to the lowest value. For example,
floor(7.99) will return 7.
Exponential growth rates are evil.

They cause a stall to progress. :(

Legends of Kesmai (defunct now.. killed by Electronic Arts) had that.

It took one player a year of constant casting of spells 8 hours a day to raise a single magic level.
Quote:Original post by Maega
Exponential growth rates are evil.

They cause a stall to progress. :(

Legends of Kesmai (defunct now.. killed by Electronic Arts) had that.

It took one player a year of constant casting of spells 8 hours a day to raise a single magic level.

It depends if the experience returned from killing monsters also increases expotentially as the game progresses.
[ search: google ][ programming: msdn | boost | opengl ][ languages: nihongo ]
The point of it is that it always gets harder and harder to level so that the difference in level between occasional players and power levelers is only linear instead of exponential.
Quote:Original post by _goat
It depends if the experience returned from killing monsters also increases expotentially as the game progresses.

What would be the point of that? If both experience needed and experience gained increase exponentially, then what's the advantage over a linear increase?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
Quote:Original post by _goat

What would be the point of that? If both experience needed and experience gained increase exponentially, then what's the advantage over a linear increase?

Because you get more XP from the monsters, duh ;)
-Lord Maz-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement