Managed C++ ComboBox Issues

Started by
5 comments, last by PyroBlizzard 18 years, 10 months ago
Ok, so here is the deal. I have in my program for it setup to get information from a specific directory, and fill in ComboBox A. Now comes up problem 1. When the information is put into ComboBox A, I would like for my program to automatically fill in the blank field with the first option, instead of just leaving it blank. From there, I want ComboBox A to run an event that effects ComboBox B. What I want to happen, is I want ComboBox B to read information from a subdirectory of the selected choice in ComboBox A. Now comes problem 2. The event is setup in the header file (as I just double clicked on the combobox for the event), and I cannot seem to get it to where I can use DirectoryInfo* in the header file. Questions being: 1. How can I make ComboBox A automatically highlight option 1? 2. How can I make ComboBox A's SelectedIndexChanged event either A. Allow usage of the DirectoryInfo code B. be put into the main .cpp file.
As I lay down, staring up at the stars in all their glory, I wonder.....WHERE THE F*** IS MY ROOF!?!?!?
Advertisement
PyroBlizzard

Its late, but I'll see if I can answer your questions.

1. You can make ComoboBoxA automatically highlight option 1 by calling the following when you read in the directory info:

comboBoxA->SelectedIndex = 0;

2. I'm not sure what you mean here. If you mean, "How do I populate box2 with the subdirectories located in the directory selected in ComboA," the answer is, create an event handler for "SelectedIndexChange" for ComboA, then whenever the event is called, just get the name of the directory from the selected index of boxA, then get the directories much as you did for ComboA the first time. Use the new list of subdirectories or files to populate ComboB. Here's a quick code example of that:

// Please note that its 12:26AM.  This code is not as clean as it could be. =)// But it should serve its purposeForm1(void){    InitializeComponent();    DirectoryInfo* di = new DirectoryInfo(S"C:\\Workspace\\MyDir");    if( di->Exists )     {        String* dirs[] = Directory::GetDirectories( S"c:\\Workspace\\MyDir" );        Collections::IEnumerator* myEnum = dirs->GetEnumerator();        while( myEnum->MoveNext() )         {	    comboBox1->Items->Add( myEnum->Current );	}        comboBox1->SelectedIndex = 0;    }}private: System::Void comboBox1_SelectedIndexChanged(System::Object *  sender, System::EventArgs *  e){    int index = comboBox1->SelectedIndex;    String* pString = comboBox1->Items->Item[index]->ToString();    comboBox2->Items->Clear();    comboBox2->Text = S"";    DirectoryInfo* di = new DirectoryInfo( pString );    if( di->Exists )     {        String* dirs[] = Directory::GetDirectories( pString );	Collections::IEnumerator* myEnum = dirs->GetEnumerator();	while( myEnum->MoveNext() ) 	{	    comboBox2->Items->Add( myEnum->Current );	}        comboBox2->SelectedIndex = 0;    }}

3. I wrote a quick mock-up Managed C++ application. I was able to use the DirectoryInfo class just fine in the .h file by adding the following "using" statement:

using namespace System::IO;
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
System:IO is the only one I didnt put in the header file, and now I feel stupid, cause I remember that is right. Thank you so much for all your help.
As I lay down, staring up at the stars in all their glory, I wonder.....WHERE THE F*** IS MY ROOF!?!?!?
Ok, new problem. First, the code

private: System::Void cPlayerAccounts_SelectedIndexChanged(System::Object *  sender, System::EventArgs *  e)		 {			System::String* directory = this->tWoWDir->get_Text();			System::String* dirName = String::Concat(directory, "\\WTF\\Account\\");			System::String* accountName = this->cPlayerAccounts->			DirectoryInfo* accountFolder = String::Concat(dirName, accountName);			if (accountFolder->Exists)			{				DirectoryInfo* playerName[] = accountFolder->GetDirectories();				for (int i = 0; i < playerName->Length; i++)				{					this->cPlayerCharacters->Items->Add(playerName);				}			}		 }

Now, the issue is the System::String* accountName part. I dont know how to get the text of the currently selected item in ComboBox A (cPlayerAccounts). How would I go about doing this?
PyroBlizzard,

If you check in the example code I provided you'll see the following:

int index = comboBox1->SelectedIndex;
String* pString = comboBox1->Items->Item[index]->ToString();

The first line gets the currently selected item from comboBox1, and then passes it into the array of items in order to get the string at that index.

For you that would be:

int index = cPlayerAccounts->SelectedIndex;
System::String* accountName = this->cPlayerAccounts->Items->Item[index]->ToString();

Again, good luck!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Alright, Thank you so much for your help, JWalsh, and I have increased your rating cause of it.

New issue. Im running an open file dialog box, and I have it set that when the user clicks on ok, I need it to rerun a function that I have defined in my main cpp file. Only problem is that, once again, the event handlers are in the header file, and I cannot seem to figure out how I would run my function that is defined in my cpp file. Any ideas?

EDIT: Got it somewhat. I just copied over the function code into my event in the header file. Must be some better way though.

Anyways, new thing. I dont need an open file dialog box, I need an open directory dialog box. Any idea?

[Edited by - PyroBlizzard on June 8, 2005 7:31:29 PM]
Ok, nevermind on that last one as well, as I figured it out. Just used a Regex to split it up into an array and used the first part of the array. Now I need to know how to send a post request to a server CGI script. Any ideas?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement