• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
intrest86

Shared Libraries and Templates in C++?

This topic is 4878 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Basically, I am working on a framework for pluggable code. In my intial plans for the framework some of the interfaces for the pluggable components used templates to help keep them generic. But then I thought "Hey, it would be nice if the entire project didnt have to be recompiled for every change. Maybe I should use a shared library!" But since templates are basically compile time trickery, can they not be in shared libraries?

Advertisement
They can't be shared in libraries. CLR apps can do this (I think, as template instances are generated at JIT time, not compile time), but unless that's what you're using, you're out of luck.

I directly share my source files for my framework between projects. This works extreemly well.

Once you get it going nicely, you might want to try using Subversion for added sophistication.

There is no real benifit to making it into a library (static or DLL). To better prevent full-recompilation, ensure your framework and project is highly modular and has few dependencies.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!