• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Replicon

Back buffer count? What's the point exactly?

This topic is 4736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Being relatively new to game programming, I have to ask a question with a possibly obvious answer... When creating a primary DirectDraw surface, you have the option of attaching a backbuffer for double-buffering needs. Makes sense, to avoid flickering, etc. But what exactly is the advantage of triple buffering, and beyond? A bit of googling will show that it enables you to draw the NEXT next frame while Flip is waiting for the vsync... but is that it? Since the lowest vsync we'll see anytime soon is 60Hz (for laptops and maybe LCD monitors... not CRTs though, cause I hit people who leave it at 60 hehe), is it really worth it? And most importantly... is there another, more design-oriented technique that's commonly used, that uses it?

Advertisement
The problem with VSync is that if you happen to go over the allocated time per Vsync, you have to wait for the next one, which actually cuts your framerate in half.

If you miss the 60hz sync, your framerate will drop to 30, miss that one and it'll drop to 15 and so on. So having an averaged framerate of 59 would leave you with a fairly crippling 30 frames per second.

Every back buffer also uses up a full screen of video memory. That's more than 3MB per back buffer with a 1024x768x32 display.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!