which network libary?

Started by
3 comments, last by graveyard filla 18 years, 10 months ago
from the faq: High-level "we give you structure" libraries include: ClanLib, Net-Z/Eterna, Nevrax/NEL, OpenSkies, OpenTNL, RakNet and ReplicaNet. I dont have time to look through them all. I used enet for my last game and had problems with the client side prediction anmong other things, so I figuer its a bit too low level for me. I am looking for a udp libary: Time stamping: so I know how long the packet took to get to me File transfer (optional) Ping Reliable send Easy to setup Connection drop detection Language C++ Using classes (I like oop) RakNet says it fits most of the above. What do you guys think?
Advertisement
The only one I have used is RakNet. I like it.

As it says, it does support most of those, and it's extendable and open source. The free version is under the GPL, but you can apply for a free commercial or free shareware license under the zlib license, so you don't have to release your source code if you distribute your application.

Good luck!
Reading the documentation for each of those libraries is likely to teach you a whole lot about network programming in general. I highly recommend that you actually take the time to do the research on at least three of those libraries, rahter than asking someone else to make a choice for you. Not just because you're likely to get a better fit to your actual needs (and thus higher likelihood of success), but because more exposure to other people's code (and documentation, and APIs) means that you learn more as a programmer.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Just asking for users personal experience with them.

The ptoblem with enet was that it is too low level. I dont want to worry about timestamping packets. It also needs more examples.
As far as i can remember, i think that RakNet and ClanLib are the only two in that list which are actually free (unless you want to be open source, in which case i know at least OpenTNL is free). Just something to keep in mind.
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement