• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
matt_j

Got a Dreamcast...

This topic is 4879 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, I just blew a bunch of money on a Sega Dreamcast, and now I'd like to start development. I'm horribly discouraged right now, as burning CDs for the DC have resulted in useless pieces of plastic - even after following the instructions. I know PnP Bios is into this... I'd like to build up some good knowledge base for people as well, but I'm an awful newbie at the moment.

Advertisement
Wow, that's a lot of pop-unders, even for Firefox.

I'll be ordering a coder's cable soon.

You can mod the DC to be able to read normal CD's.
I read up on it a while ago (but didn't have the guts to actually do it), but it seemed simple enough.
Basically just open the case, and adjust a single screw a bit to tweak the laser.

You don't need to mod the dreamcast for it to be able to read CDs, unless you mean CD-RWs. (this might be different in the US, if I recall correctly, all european dreamcasts will run CDs fine, but some of the newer US versions won't)

I have the same problem burning CDs though, I couldn't get any of them to work, unless it was an ISO I had downloaded. I take it you're trying to make a CD from scratch rather than using an ISO image?

Eventually, I found a fantastic program called dir2boot, that makes a nero image out of a directory. That works fine, as long as you've got your elf scrambled, and everything else done properly. Saved me from creating a lot of coasters. I burned the latest version of dc-load-ip with it, and it works perfectly.

Here is a link, but it should be easy enough to find on google, should things go wrong.

If you're serious about dreamcast programming, and you can afford one, I'd recommend that you get a broadband adapter. You can get them on ebay if you're lucky. They're expensive, but so, so worth it.

Also, if you go here you should be able to find pre-made nero images for the dreamcast elf loaders, both for serial cable, and for broadband adapter.

Quote:
Original post by Oxyacetylene
You don't need to mod the dreamcast for it to be able to read CDs, unless you mean CD-RWs. (this might be different in the US, if I recall correctly, all european dreamcasts will run CDs fine, but some of the newer US versions won't)

well, from the following quote, I sort of assumed it didn't work on *his* Dreamcast. ;)
Quote:

I'm horribly discouraged right now, as burning CDs for the DC have resulted in useless pieces of plastic

As far as I know, it only works by default on the oldest batches. After the first year or so, they made some firmware revision to prevent it. Something like that, anyway. :)

[Edited by - Spoonbender on June 8, 2005 5:17:07 AM]

Another chunk of advice, look into the hi speed USB adaptor, and not the standard COM one. It can get up to 1.32 Mbps or something like that. Makes it much bearable. Right now, I am stuck with the COM one, but when I have the money to throw away, I will get one of these.

Develop for a while, and see if you like it, if you are having a tough time with it, then don't get the Broadband Adaptor. Or if you do, give it to me.

Some images have burned properly, functioning well, but most haven't. I tried to make DOOM work, and Utopia loaded 95%, and then froze. Some other images I attempted didn't work either, but I'm a little more experienced now, but out of blank CDs, and money.

I attempted the CD-RW mod, and it didn't work.

matt, you need to do several things.
1, find out your unit's revision number.
2, make sure you are burning cue/bin, nrg, or cdi files. ISO's won't work, can't handle multisession.
3, Make sure the 1st_boot.bin file is scrambled.

It seems what I really need is a compiler for the SH4, etc... most of the links out there are broken. I'd be willing to install any OS on a P3 I have sitting doing next to nothing over here. If cygwin works just as well, that's great.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!