[java] graphics library

Started by
5 comments, last by princec 18 years, 10 months ago
hey all. just looking for recommendations on a graphics library for java game programming. I don't need 3d capabilities, as I'm just playing around with tile based games that give the perception of 3d space (3rd person games like baldur's gate, icewind dale etc). i've had a look at lwjgl, any other suggestions? cheers, samson
Advertisement
Hi,

For pure 2D graphics, you need nothing at all - the standard API is capable of handling everything. Maybe you might want to take a look at JAI if you wish to toy with images at a higher level.

And LWJGL can do 3D, too.

Son Of Cain
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
How about give GTGE a shot?
-------------Golden T Game Engine - Java Game EngineGolden T Website | Golden T Forum
I've just heard that the standard graphics library isn't particularly efficient. is that correct or not?

and thanks, i'll check out the suggested libraries :)
Actually, the latest incarnations of Java2D have been pretty damn fast, even supporting hardware acceleration through OpenGL.
Quote:Original post by sams0n
I've just heard that the standard graphics library isn't particularly efficient. is that correct or not?

It depends. Translucent images (0 <
Basically, I recommend you use LWJGL, and stick with it, as it should scale with your needs forever more. We designed it to work for n00bs but go right on to address every requirement of the serious AAA professional.

Examples of its use range from Puppytron - ultrasimple 2D - to Tribal Trouble, which is proper 3D (albeit aimed at very low end systems so it's deliberately not doing anything fancy).

Cas :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement