Parents monitoring the games their children buy?

Started by
3 comments, last by Yombi 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi all, I am currently doing an ethical paper for my Bachelor in Computers. My aim is to establish whether or not parents play a role in the game choice of their children (aged 11 - 17). This survey is completely anonymous; no information that can identify an individual will be collected. All I need is your honest answers :-). I’m not going for a full-on survey so things are kept relatively simple. If this is not in the appropriate section (couldn’t really find a suitable sub-forum like “the ethics of games”) please move. PLEASE only fill in this server if you have a child that is aged from 11yrs to 17yrs old. To reply to the survey, you can simply just post a reply here on the forum or e-mail me directly with your answers to Daniel@Moderngeek.com QUESTION: Do parents monitor the computer games that their school aged (11 yrs to 17yrs) children purchase? 1) What is the age of your child (11yrs to 17yrs)? 2) Do you monitor the video games your children purchase? (YES / NO) 3) Would you allow your child to own a R16 / R18 game (M / AO for America)? (YES / NO) 4) Before your child purchases a game, do you (choose all that apply) a. Play the game yourself to make sure it is suitable. b. Find extra information (from the internet, other parents etc) to make an informed decision about the content of the game. c. Use the game rating as a guide to the suitability of the content. d. I do not monitor my Childs gaming purchases. 5) Do you believe the video games your child plays impacts their behaviour? (YES / NO) If ‘YES’ a. Is the effect positive or negative? b. Why? Thank-you for taking time to fill out this survey :-)
Advertisement
I think you're better off printing 100 of these forms and ask around people if they have children in the category. Most of the people on this forums don't have children yet :)

Toolmaker

I Do! My daughter is ten though, but I have lots of experience working with children ages 5-18, as a previous computer instructor, and also a high school teacher. Actually one of my jobs included running 16 networked computers that underprivelaged kids would play games on. All the games were donated from Microsoft and other companies- Age of Mythology, Age of Empires, Midtown Madness. During my time at that place of employment, I had the privelage of working with 50-80 kids a night. I also had to monitor what games kids played on the internet, and offline. My policies were strict. I don't think younger adults realize how influencial games are on kids. Parents/adult figures should play a huge role in monitoring what games our kids play. If you are interested in my opinion or experiences I have had on this subject, feel free to PM me.

Good Luck.
-------------Become part of developing the specifications of a new language. Visit CodeBASIC.org
I think you may also get very biased responses from in here. I recommend doing what toolmaker suggested.
Quote:Original post by Greg K
I think you may also get very biased responses from in here. I recommend doing what toolmaker suggested.

Thanks for the replies :-)

To make my results less biased i've picked afew different sites (and real life locations in my town) to get a rather balanced range of different types of people. I was hoping to get the opinion of game developers aswell :). The only problem with handing out forms in my local area, I cannot get a decent result that would represent the wider community :-(

Codemonger: I'll give yah a PM abit later on when i have time :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement