• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LilTrooper

Animation Sets

This topic is 4818 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After looking at the Multianimation sample in the SDK, I am confident that I need different animation "sets" to do the different animations I need. (i.e. walk, jog, jump). My problem is that I don't know how to add more animation sets in 3d Studio. Does anyone know how to do this? Or am I using the wrong terminology...do I need to add more animation "tracks" in order to achieve multiple animations using the same X file? Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
So, I started poking around in the X File using the SDK tiny4_anim.x file as an example. For every animation in the X File they declare "AnimationSet Loiter" or "AnimationSet Walk." So, I found this corresponding "AnimationSet" from one X file containing one animation and I copy-pasted it to the other X File. Now there are 2 AnimationSets in this one X File. I then plugged it in my program, which is only using one animation set at the moment, whichever is loaded first. So, I ran the program and saw the animation was different. I then tried flipping the order of the sets in the X File and saw the animation change again.

I'm convinced that both animations are in the X File now, and now I have a pretty good idea how to change between the Animation Sets. My only question now is if this is the only way to add more animation sets to an X File? It'd be nice to find a way to automatically do this in 3d Studio instead of editing the X Files by hand.

Thank you for taking time to read this. And thanks for any help you can offer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!